I Know

Valeria and I mounted our horses for the ride back to Ladris. There was not a huge rush so we only walked our way back. Silence was our companion.

We delivered our message to the Sheriff, who immediately began preparing.

"What now?" asked Valeria as we walked away.

"What do you think?" I said as I pulled myself onto Axe.

She rolled her eyes. "Silly me. You're going to look for Derrek aren't you?"

I nodded. "You coming?"

She untied her horse and mounted. "Of course. Where do we start?"

We went back to the place where I had first spotted him. Valeria knew her away around the city better than I did. If it hadn't been for her, I would have gotten us lost.

I was so hopeful. So very hopeful. But after searching the city for hours, wading through crowds of people and ignoring sellers' calls, we still had not found him.

"He probably rode out of the city." Valeria voiced what we'd both been thinking.

I nodded. "But where was he going?" My voice trembled like a dam about to burst.

She thought for a moment. "What about asking the blacksmith?"

I brightened. "Of course, why didn't I think of that!" I reined Axe around eagerly.

The sun was low in the sky as we made our way back to the blacksmith shop. The man was just closing up when we finally arrived. I waved my hand as he finished turning the key in the lock. "Wait!"

He turned and took us in. "We're closed, come back tomorrow."

Valeria and I slid off our horses. "We're not here on business, we want information," said Valeria.

He raised his bushy eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"I'm looking for my brother, Derrek Acantha SwordCleaver," I said quickly. "I'm his sister, my name's Ravine. I saw him shake hands with you and leave your shop."

He placed his hand to his chin. "Oh yes, Derrek. He did work for me. He mentioned he had a sister."

My heart sank a bit when he said, 'Did work,' in the past tense. "What do you mean, he 'did' work for you?"

"He worked for me for a few months and earned his wages, enough for a horse. Good smart kid he was. Sadly he said he was only staying temporarily. Something about not being able to stay around here. Shame, he was hard worker."

"Do you know where he was headed?" asked Valeria, seeing I was too overcome to say anything more.

"I think he said something about going to the city of Terreth."

"Okay, thank you for your help sir," she said. She grabbed my shoulders and turned me around.

"I'm sorry I wasn't able to help much," he said sympathetically. I nodded.

Valeria and I slept outside the city. We had no place to go, even if Redwar had told us to go home, we couldn't have made it. So we slept on the ground under a tree. Not that I cared much.

I had missed Derrek by literally thirty minutes. Thirty stinking lousy sorry minutes. All because of Ravager spies.

I woke up early, just as the sun was cresting the rise. Lost in memory, I watched it until it was over the horizon. I shoved my matted braid back from my face and stood, my hand landing on the hilt of my blade.

I glanced at the still sleeping Valeria and debated.

Everything in me was screaming to go after Derrek. To bridle Axe and strike out for Terreth. Maybe I could catch him on the way!

Now was the perfect time, while Valeria slept and Redwar was away.

But as I walked up to the tree where we'd hung the bits and reached up for Axe's, something tugged in my gut. It wasn't fair to just leave them with them not knowing where I'd gone.

Nah, Valeria knew. She'd know where I was going.

I grabbed the bit. Axe's bridle could be both a halter and bridle when needed. Currently he was grazing contently with Clover.

Suddenly I heard hoof beats. I tensed and left the bit hanging as I reached for my sword.

In the morning darkness the shape of two horses and riders plodded along. In between them a rope was strung. They were headed for the city gates, which had just opened.

My eyes didn't leave them as I crept over to Valeria and shook her awake.

She popped up looking a little cross-eyed. "What is it Ravine?" She mumbled.

"Look," I whispered as I pointed to the city gates. She blinked several times before her eyes focused. "Do you think that could be-"

"Redwar?" She finished for me. She sat up and pulled her legs under herself. "Maybe."

We quickly bridled our horses and mounted. Axe was clearly feeling fresher and walked along sprightly. The cool morning air refreshed me.

We rode into the city gates. The city was stirring but nobody was out on the streets just yet.

And sliding off Ladine, there was Redwar.

"Redwar! You're back!" cried out Valeria.

He turned and gave us a tired smile. "Valeria, Ravine. Yes, I'm back."

He looked a bit haggard, and his arm was sliced, the side of it covered in dry blood. Ladine's head hung low and sweat coated her flanks.

Next to Ladine was the Elected One, sitting on his horse with his hands bound. He too looked tired, and had a cut along his chest. His horse was also wet with sweat.

I gestured to him after I'd dismounted. "You caught him?"

He nodded. "Yes. I did. Valeria, go and tell the Sheriff I'm here with a traitor."

Valeria hopped off Clover and headed inside the guardhouse.

Redwar watched her go. Then he asked, softly, "Did you find Derrek?"

I shook my head slowly. "No. We searched around and found out he may be headed to Terreth." I figured I might as well be honest. "I was going to go after him this morning."

He looked at me sharply. "Alone?"

I hesitated, then nodded. "I couldn't wait Redwar."

He walked up to me and grabbed my shoulders. I resisted the urge to step backward.

"Don't ever do that Ravine. Never." He shook me. "Do you understand? There's no telling what he and the other-" He gestured to the Elected One. "Might have rigged up for you. They very well might not be the only Ravagers in the city."

I sniffled and nodded. "I know."

"Do you?" His face was hard against the memories of his past. "Ravine, we will find your brother, but you cannot go out alone. I'm sure Derrek would rather have you safe."

I rubbed my face. "He would." I resisted the urge to cry. I would not cry again.

He softened slightly. "Promise me you won't go after him alone."

"I won't. I miss him so much Redwar. And I was so close-"

He pulled me in. "I know."