Time to Talk

We made camp in the forest, fairly sure we were safe from the bandits.  To be safe, however, we determined a watch would be set up and we would take turns through the nigh. 

Derrek hovered close to me during the whole time we were setting up camp and taking care of the horses.  I didn't mind at all.  In fact, I savored it.  

As I slipped Axe's bridle off, I realized how little Derrek knew, and how bewildered he was probably feeling right now.  I had three totally new friends.  Well, if Daxton could count as a friend.  He was currently slumped against a tree as he whittled away at a stick and glared at the world.

And one of the those friends was a a former Ravager.  I didn't know if Derrek had figured that out yet.  

I also had a horse of my own now.  Well, kinda.  I didn't know if he was actually mine or still belonged to Redwar.  I could also ride him or any other horse so much better.   

And finally, my sword skills had accelerated beyond what they'd ever been under Redwar's teaching.  I mean, I still wasn't quite Redwar's level, in many ways, but I'd been able to take on Corban with confidence.  

Thinking of Corban made my jaw clench.  I still didn't understand why Redwar had stopped me from ending him, and intended to demand an explanation as soon as possible.  

I led Axe down to the creek and let him drink deeply from it.  I patted his shoulder.  "You did good from me today boy.  Thanks," I murmured.  

Derrek glanced around, and seeing we were alone, spoke.  "Ravine...  Who are these people?"

The way he said it seemed to imply that I shouldn't be with them, and that made me bristle a little in a way only a sibling could provoke.  "They're Redwar, Valeria, and Daxton."  

He rolled his eyes.  "Oh come on, you know what I mean."  

"Oh, I do?"  I sassed back as Axe raised his dripping muzzle.  

He stared at me for a moment, then began to laugh.  "It's so good to hear your voice, Ravine."  

I began to laugh too.  How many times had I wanted to just have an argument with my brother, if only to hear his voice?   "It's good to hear yours too."  

His voice dropped lower, so that I barely heard him.  "I didn't think I'd ever hear it again."  

I stared at him, drinking him in as I replied,  "I wasn't sure I would either."  Then I smiled and chuckled.  "You gave us quite a chase, you know."  

"I did?"  

I nodded.  Seeing Axe was finished with his drink, I began to turn and lead him back to camp.  "I saw you in Ladris as you were leaving."  

His eyes widened.  "Why didn't you stop me!"

"I couldn't, I-"  I broke off, realizing just how long the story that would explain that was.  "I'll explain with everything else."  

He looked up.  "We've got a lot to talk about, Ravine."

"Yeah, we sure do."  I remembered something that put a little bit of spice in my voice.  "Like why you thought it was a good idea to become a spy in a gang.  Derrek, what were you thinking?  You could have been killed."

"It was like that-"  He began defensively, but then stopped and smirked a bit.  "I'll explain with everything else." 

I used the tail end of Axe's reins to try and swat him, but he ducked out my reach with a grin.  "Do better next time," he taunted.