A Deceitful Vendor

We went to every blacksmith in the city, a total of five.  None of them had hired Derrek, or had Derrek approach them looking for a job.  We asked them to keep a lookout for him, and told them where we'd be staying.  They readily agreed.  

 I walked out of the last shop disappointed.  Our trip around the city had taken us until evening to complete. The sun was just about to begin setting.  We could do no more searching today.  

"Are we going back to the inn, Redwar?"  Asked Valeria.  

He sighed.  "I don't think we can do anything more today, so that's what we'll do."  

I untied Axe and grabbed a chunk of his mane.  With a hop I swung easily onto his back.  My mounting was way better than when I first started riding him.  

Redwar pulled Ladine around and went up next to Valeria on Clover.  He lowered his voice so that I could not hear it and whispered something to Valeria.  She nodded.  

He then came up next to me and spoke in the same low tone.  "Be watchful, Ravine.  There may be thieves out this evening."  

That made my gut clench.  "Thieves?"  

"Yes.  Now is the perfect time for them to strike.  Enough light from them to see us, enough darkness for us not to see them."  

I nodded.  "Alright, Redwar."  

I shortened my reins on Axe and laid my other hand on my sword.  Axe perked up a little, sensing that something was off.  

The streets were mostly quiet as we rode through them, except for the soft footfalls of our horses.  My eyes scanned the shadows and alleyways, looking for a glint of an eye or movement to betray potential thugs.  

We came up to the market place, where most vendors were closing up for the night.  A few people remained and bargained for last minute items.  

In front of us, a vendor was taking produce from a wagon, stocking up his stall for the next day.  As we were about to pass between his stall and the wagon, he stumbled and fell in front of us, the apples in the basket going everywhere.  

Ladine half reared to keep from stepping on the man and stepped backward.  She bumped into Clover, who squealed, and I quickly backed Axe up to give Valeria room. 

"So sorry sir!" said the vendor, getting up and brushing off his clothes.

"It's alright," said Redwar calmly.  "You couldn't help it.  Here, let help you gather your fruit."  

"Oh no sir, there's no need for you to get off your horse.  I'll have it cleaned up quick."  As he spoke he was quickly grabbing apples and tossing them in the basket.  It was clear to all of us, however, that it would take awhile to gather it all.    

"Nonsense."  Redwar slid off of Ladine and knelt down, grabbing the dust covered fruit and putting them in the basket.

Valeria and I slid off to, thinking that we would help as well.  The fruit was scattered everywhere.

I spotted them to late.  They came flooding out from behind the vendor's stalls and the shadows to surround us.

"Redwar!" Valeria screamed, but it was too late.  Redwar looked up to see a sword pointed down at his face.  The vendor unsheathed a dagger and held it below his chin, the formerly innocent and harried expression on his face replaced with greed.  

"Now, Redwar, you can give us your money, or you and your daughters can die right here," he growled.

My eyes flitted around, quickly taking stock of the situation.  There were five men, the vendor, the man holding the sword to Redwar, and three others.  One behind Axe, one to my right and one to my left.

Axe danced in place, knowing something was wrong, and hating that he couldn't do anything.

Valeria turned slightly and our eyes connected.  Hers were on fire, and I knew she couldn't remain still for long.  I glanced at Axe, then at the man behind us, to the man holding the sword to Redwar, and then back to her.  She tilted her chin slightly.   

Redwar stared calmly the man with the dagger in front of him, not responding, and not moving.  The man had enough of it and moved the dagger closer.  "Give us the money!" He screeched.  

I took a deep breath and let fire rush through to burn up the fear and timidity.

"Axe."  

At my whisper he cocked an ear at me, and stilled, waiting.

"Strike."  

At my hissed command he pinned his ears and backed up two steps.  Before the man could react, he landed a solid kick on the thief behind him.  The man let out a yell as he flew backwards and crashed into a stall, crushing it into a wooden heap. 

In the momentary distraction that followed Redwar sprung forward and grabbed the vendor man's dagger hand.  Before the man with the sword could reinforce his boss, Valera was on him in a flurry of slices.  

I unsheathed Bound and stepped in the path of the man to my left.  I brought Bound down in a fast basic shoulder cut.  The man blocked.  

I backed off and tried another strike, followed by a counter.  I quickly figured out that this bozo's sword skills were horrible.  Within minutes I had him backed up against a stall.

Deciding not to waste time I blocked his sword, raised mine, and delivered a kick to his stomach.  He doubled over in pain, so I thrust his sword aside and used the pommel of mine to give him a solid crack on the head. 

He slumped over and I plucked his sword from his hand, sending it skittering across the ground.

I whirled, my eyes taking everything in.  Redwar was still tussling with the Vendor, although now the dagger was harmlessly out of each under the wagon.  Redwar was trying to pull away, but the vendor would not let him, probably knowing that once Redwar drew his sword it would be all over.  

Valeria was beating back her opponent and it looked like her fight would be over soon.  I snorted.  For being thieves they were terrible at wielding blades.

The man Axe had kicked had yet to rise and I highly doubted he would.  

But there was still one man who had not engaged with anybody.  In fact, he was slowly slinking away.  

I growled.  "Not today."