Rock Throwing

"Ravine!"  

"Ravine, what?  Shush!"  

Redwar was the one who said nothing but reached out and covered my mouth with his hand, effectively silencing the feral cat sounds I'd been making.  

I was breathing hard.  It could not be him.  How, for all of Thathia, was he here?  How?

But I knew it had to be him.  There was no mistaking that corn cob colored hair.  It could belong only to Corban. 

"I don't think they're saw us," murmured Daxton.  Then he turned and glared at me.  "Ya had better have a good reason as to why ya started screaming at the sight of that blonde guy.  Ya nearly got us kilt."  

I moaned and clenched my head.  "It's him.  It's that filthy traitor."  

"Corban?"  Valeria ventured a guess.  

I nodded.  I was afraid to speak his name, for fear I'd go tearing out of here right then and there.

"Who's Corban?"  Asked Daxton.  

Redwar answered for me.  "He's the Ravagerian spy that lead the attack on Ravine's village.  He's also the one that took her mother and father captive."  

Daxton raised his eyebrows.  "He's Ravager?"  

"Yes," I spit out.  "Through and through.  There's not a piece of him that isn't Ravager."  

Daxton's eyes squinted.  "What's 'e doin' here?"

"I don't know."  I fingered my sword.  "But I know what I'm fixing to do to him."  

"Revenge can be taken later, Ravine, but whether it's yours to take is another question."  Before I could interrupt Redwar went on.  

"We still haven't seen Derrek.  And surely Corban has or will recognize him.  What's important right now, Ravine, is keeping your brother safe, not running Corban through."  

I hated to admit it, but he was right.

"Let's start by outlining the situation.  It seems most of the bandits are distracted by that fight, including Corban and Megidil.  But that's not going to last long, and more than anything we need time.  Time to search those tents."  

"I've got my bow," volunteered Valeria.  "And about thirty arrows."

"We could throw rocks from 'ere," suggested Daxton.  

Redwar nodded.  "Those are both viable options for distraction.  Some of us are going to have to stay up here while one or two will have to go down to look for Derrek."  

I raised my hand.  "I'm going down there Redwar."  My tone made it clear I would not stand to be left behind.  

Redwar hesitated for a moment, then nodded.  "I'll go with you.  There is not much good I can do here."  

For the next few minutes we outlined our strategy.  It was decided that, once Redwar and I were nearly to the camp, Valeria and Daxton would start by throwing rocks and making noise.  Redwar and I would go through the tents.  

If and when the bandits attention started to break off from the rock throwing, Valeria would start firing her arrows while making sure that each one counted.  We wanted to keep her arrows in reserve if possible because she didn't have unlimited arrows.  But we did have unlimited rocks.  They were everywhere. 

The boulder was burning into my hand.  But I didn't care.  My whole attention was focused on the man with corn cob colored hair.