Preparation

Between the exciting day and the vigorous dancing, I practically fell into bed.

As the sun peeked through our room's window, I rolled over and stretched.  The night had been peaceful.  But I was wondering just how the day would go.

I rubbed my face.  Derrek had still not told me what was bothering him.  I wondered if he'd be the same as he'd been last night during the dancing, while he was smiling and laughing, or if it'd go back to being stone-faced.  

There was also the fact that the upcoming Feast marked a year since I'd lost my parents.  That was not an anniversary I was looking forward to.  

I shook my head and sighed.  Pain twinged through my body in various places as I sat up in bed.  "Ouch."  Might have overdone it on the dancing.  I was already reluctant to crawl out from under the covers, but that didn't help my motivation.

"What're you moaning about?" Asked Valeria as she too rolled over to face me.  Then she flinched.  "Oh, I think I know."

Knowing someone shared my soreness helped me feel a bit better.  "Yeah.  Guess I didn't realize how hard I'd pushed it." 

Valeria rolled her neck.  "Well, I don't regret it.  It's been awhile since I've had such a good time."

"Yeah, me too..."  My voice trailed off as I realized the last time I'd been dancing was the night the Ravagers attacked. I shook my head.  No, I'd had a good time, I wouldn't spoil it now.

I ripped the covers off of myself before I could think of snuggling back under them again.

"Sore?" 

I looked up at Redwar's voice and gave him a half smile.  He'd seen me massaging my arm.  "I overdid it at the dancing last night." 

He nodded but made no comment.  I gave up on massaging my screaming arm and reached for the bread slices.  I claimed three of the huge slices, as my stomach had added its complaints to the screaming of my body.

Redwar and I were the only ones currently at the breakfast table.  Valeria had decided to sleep in a little, but I was too hungry. 

I looked up at the sound of footsteps coming in the room.  It was Derrek.  He smiled at me.  "Good morning." 

"Good morning."  I smiled back at him.  He didn't have that stone face on, but I could tell something was off about him.  Different.  He avoided my gaze as he sat down at the table and seem determined to pretend everything was normal.

Well, I could play that game.  For now.  But at some point, we were going to be alone, and then I would-

Redwar shifted and the movement drew my eyes to his.  He subtly shook his head at me as a warning carving lines in his face. 

I had to admit, I was a tiny bit annoyed that Redwar was inserting himself in me and my brother's relationship.  But I also knew he was much wiser than I, so for now I would yield.

Just then, Valeria came through the door as well while covering a huge yawn with her hand.  "Morning, everyone." 

"Morning," I said as I reached for the butter.

Breakfast continued to be a quiet affair.  No one felt much like talking.  Redwar was starring out the window with his eyes half closed as he chewed butter-laden bread.  I couldn't help but wonder if what he might be planning.

Well, I didn't know what Redwar was planning, but the town was definitely in full preparation mode for the coming Feast. From the stable, where I was give Axe a good groom, I could see all the people hustling and bustling. Kids ran to and fro with various items in their arms, mothers were scurrying to the market with little children clinging to their hands, and the market vendors had more business than they could handle.