Confrontation and Terreth

I guess seeing Derrek set his jaw and look so much like father brought the nightmares back.  Only this time, instead of Corban's face, it was Daxton's that caused me to scream.  

"Ravine, snap out of it!"  

My eyes flew open to see Valeria's face above me.  The sight of a familiar face helped bring me out of the panicked darkness and desperation. 

I glanced over and saw Derrek watching me with surprise.  I hadn't told him about the dreams, there'd seemed to be no need.  They had stopped awhile back until tonight.  

Fire flushed through me, triggered by the need to protect my brother.  What had I been thinking?  We couldn't let Daxton stay here!  No, no he'd betray us all!

I ripped the blanket off.  "I'll be fine, Valeria.  You go back to sleep."  My voice was so calm, much calmer than what I felt inside.

She backed off, but her face showed she didn't believe me. 

Out of habit, I scanned the camp.  It was Redwar's turn to stand watch, and he was at the edge of the clearing.  I winced as I noticed his hand resting on his sword, and the tightness of his body.  These nightmares tended to bring on guilt attacks.

Simran had not awakened, he was still snoring soundly.  

Daxton was leaned up against his favorite tree and staring at me.  

I growled and heaved myself up.  I didn't bother to put on my boots.  The cool forest earth greeted my feet but I didn't notice, my eyes locked on Daxton. 

He straightened as I came near.

I didn't know what to say because there was so much to say.

So much to say.

I had grabbed Bound's sheath without knowing about it. For a moment, I considered drawing my blade and taking after Daxton, this time for real. He deserved nothing less.

But wait. My conversation earlier with Redwar rang in my head. Forgive, he had said. Forgive, or be a prisoner.

My fingers flexed around the sheathed blade, and I looked down at it. The blade could do many things. But it could not free me from chains of hate. My fingers relaxed, revealing the little half moons my fingernails had carved into the leather.

My eyes returned to Daxton's. He didn't retreat but stared me full in the face. I felt exposed, having this much eye contact with a person.

But I wanted him to see.

"Look, Daxton. Look at me." I put a finger to my chest. "You know what I should be doing right now? I should be tucked in bed in my own house. Below me, I should be hearing the quiet crackle of a fire and the soft murmurs of my parents' voices."

Tears welled as I recounted what I missed most. "The next morning, I should wake up to the smell of breakfast that only my mother can make. I should hear my father say the Blessing of Bounty over the table, hear the way his voice would rumble it out."

My cheeks were wet. "I want to smell my home again. The smell of wood and ashes and flowers on the table. I want to hear my brother laugh like he used to as he crossed wooden blades with friends." I flinched as I remembered one of those friends had been Corban.

"I want to step out and see a village teeming with life. Here people call out a cheery 'Good morning' and say the same in return. And look out to see fields with crops and the forest rimming the edge."

"But I never will again. In its place is devastation and ruin. My parents are slaves, and not just them, but the whole village that I loved."

At this point, Daxton tried to look away from me.

"Look at me, Daxton! Look at what your kind has perpetuated. And what no doubt you yourself have to others like me."

I glanced down at the blade in my hand. "For this, I have every right to attack you."

"But I won't. Because I am not like you and your kind. I'm not, and I never will be."

I clamped my jaw shut and turned away from him. There was much, much more I wanted to spew out, but... But I just couldn't anymore.

Going to sleep was an impossibility at the time, so I stalked out to the forest and began going through sword drills. I whirled on invisible enemies, expending all of my anguish onto them. I gave them names like fear, hate, pain, etc.

And finally, I tired myself out enough that I returned to camp and slept.

When I woke up, Daxton was gone.

For a moment, I wondered if he'd gone off to betray us, but felt no fear at the thought. Let him do as he wanted to. I could fight him.

However, he came back before we left. Simran was feeling better and could travel, so it was best if we got him back to Terreth to have a doctor look at him.

Terreth was still as big and bustling as I remembered. And I still hated that aspect as much as I remembered. But at least it wasn't Baradom.

People stared at us openly and curiously because of Simran and Celestial. Most had never seen a King's Messenger before. 

As we turned onto the street that lead to the Finnleys' tavern, Redwar spoke up.  "Valeria, do you remember where a doctor is?" 

"I think so," Valeria said with a hint of uncertainty.  "If memory serves me, there's one three streets down."  

"See if you can find him.  We'll be at the Finnleys'."  

Valeria nodded and peeled off.  

Simran was slumped in Celestial's saddle.  While rest had helped a lot, his squinched up face revealed he still was in pain.  

We didn't bother to tie up at the hitching place but went to the back, where the stables were.

Mr. Finnley had a broom and was sweeping out the stable when we came in.  He looked up and smiled.  "Well, hello!  Redwar Volan, isn't it?" 

"Yes, Mr. Finnley.  We're in need of your hospitality and services once again."  

"Of course, Mr. Volan, you're quite welcome."  Suddenly, he noticed Simran and Celestial.  His eyes grew round in surprise.  "Is that-"  

"A King's Messenger?  Yep, and an injured one.  Valeria has gone for the doctor."  Redwar slid off of Ladine.  

Mr. Finnley clapped his hands.  "Oh, what an honor!  My humble establishment hosting a King's Messenger!"

I smiled at his enthusiasm.  

He ran across the yard to the back of the tavern and pulled the door open.  "Honey, set up the best guest room available!  We're hosting a King's Messenger!"  

"A what?"  The wife came to door, her face flushing.  "What do you mean-"  She cut off as she spotted Simran and Celestial.  "Oh my!  Oh my!"  With a hand to her mouth she hurried back inside.  "Sherria!  Sherria!  Get the best sheets!"

I chuckled as I slid down from Axe.  I took Ladine, while Mr. Finnley held Celestial as Redwar helped Simran down.  

AN:  The chapter is done!  Man, updates are not going in my favor right now.