History

Redwar was silent for so long I almost opened my mouth to say my question again. But then he spoke.

"Let's make a deal. I tell you my history, and you tell me yours."

"You already know my history. My village was raided, all my family was captured except my brother, and I escaped."

Redwar snorted. "And because of that assassins were sent after you? There's more to it Ravine. And I need every single detail if I'm going help you."

I bit my lip, suddenly feeling a little bad. Here I was demanding he tell me his history, which was obviously painful for him, but denying him the right to know mine?

"I'm sorry Redwar. I shouldn't have been so surely. Alright, it's a deal. I'll tell you mine first."

I began my tale, with way more details than I'd told Valeria. Several times Redwar had me go back and clarify something, but other than that left me alone. I was so into it I didn't notice where we were going.

"That's when you found me," I said, finishing up. "And you know it from then on."

He nodded. "And why do you think Corban sent assassins after you?"

"You don't know?"

"I know. I want to know if you do."

"Because he revealed a valuable secret of the Ravagers. And if anyone finds out, he'll be in trouble. Considered a traitor, I would think. Plus, we'd have our defenses up."

"What's the secret?"

"That Ravagers aren't just dark-skinned. They're also light-skinned. And they've planted spies throughout our villages, towns, and nation."

As I said it it sent shudders up and down my body. How could I have forgotten? How? Had my grief so consumed me that I couldn't think of helping prevent grief for others?

Redwar nodded again. "And you don't even know the half of it," he whispered to himself. I decided not to comment. I'd get my answers soon enough.

"Where are we going?"

"We're not going. We're here," he said, pulling Ladine to a stop.

We'd emerged on the banks of a swiftly flowing creek. I knew it's name and now, where we were. This was Serva creek, a tributary of the Green river. I know, my people were so creative when they named it.

Redwar dismounted. He sat down by the edge of the creek and let Ladine graze behind him, the reins trailing long behind him. I copied him.

"Why do you think Corban told you?"

I reached down a hand and relished the cool swirling feel of the creek. "I don't know. Now that you mention it, why tell me?"

"I think he loved you."

That startled me. I yanked my hand out of the creek. "What?"

"Why else? From what you've told me, I think he had, if you will, a crush on you. So his tongue slipped, and now he's scrambling to cover up the mess he made."

The idea of Corban having a crush on me and thus revealing one of the greatest secrets of the Ravagers caused me to chuckle. "I never knew."

"You wouldn't have. You still viewed it all through the lens of friendship."

I let my hand down into the water again. "Alright. You know my history now. Now it's time for yours." I had a sternness in my voice that let him know: I would not be deterred again.

I almost regretted it when he visibly stiffened. But then he let out a long sigh that deflated him. "Very well. You would think it would get easier, all the times I've done it."