35.

Gracie.

Yeah, remember when I said I totally knew how to cook.

Yeah, I totally don't.

I looked down at the sauce bubbling on the cooker. I really didn't think it was supposed to be that colour.

Oh Lord! And I had told everybody that dinner would be ready at 7. It was 6:20 and I still needed to set the table, shower and change into clothes other than the sweatpants and stained t-shirt I was currently wearing.

At least the chicken looked okay. I smiled proudly and the glistening brown pieces of bird.

"Mrs. Knightly," I smiled sheepishly at the lady sitting at the island, "could you please help me dish out the food and set the table? I really have to go and start getting ready."

Mrs. Knightly was a sweet old lady who had apparently cooked for the alpha family for years. She had helped me get all the stuff I needed to cook and had offered to cook everything but I declined her offer.

Stupid.

"Of course, Luna"

And there was that. I had told her to just call me Tamara Grace but she insisted, saying it would be disrespectful. It felt weird to have somebody at least twice my age, bowing to me each time I walked into the kitchen.

"Thanks!"

I hurried up the stairs to my room. Thank God I had laid the dress I planned to wear on the bed earlier.

I hopped in the shower, hurriedly lathering myself in soap and rinsing before hurrying out again.

The dress was new. Something I had gotten after I had moved in with Grey. It was a navy blue A-line dress, stopping above my knees. It made me feel really pretty as I looked in the mirror.

Not knowing what to do with my hair, I decided to pull it into a low bun. The overall look was nice enough and I pulled on shoes and left the room.

I could hear the boys' voices in the dining room as I neared it. I stopped by a window and looked out, the sky was clear, with no moon in sight, making the forest at the back of the house look even darker and more ominous than usual.

I shuddered involuntarily and entered the dining room. The boys stopped talking as Grey immediately made his way to me.

"Gracie, you look beautiful...as usual." He kissed my cheek.

"Yeah Tamara, you look great"

"Lana!" I hugged her, "I thought you were spending Christmas with your parents!"

"Well, I couldn't very well refuse an invitation from the Alpha and his mate, could I?" She winked and I laughed.

I couldn't say I wasn't relieved she had come- I really needed some female company after all the time I'd spent in the house.

I looked around the dining room as we sat down. A Christmas tree stood, glittering in the corner with wrapped boxes underneath it. I smiled, I couldn't wait for Grey to see what I had gotten him.

"Graceballs, when do we get to dig in? I'm starving!" Ryan whined.

"After we pray"

"Pray?" Everybody around the table echoed me incredulously.

"Yes, p-"

"Mum!" Grey stood up, looking at the door behind me. I followed his gaze, and immediately flew out of my seat.

"Mrs. Brewer, I'm so glad you could join us"

The lady standing before me was beautiful or at least, she used to be beautiful, but now she just looked tired. Very tired.