8.

Gracie

Okay my first week of school wasn't that bad. I met a boy who makes my stomach flutter weirdly, made a friend, snuck out of the house to a game, rode in a car with said stomach-fluttering boy, got caught, fasted....and...yeah... that's all.

Who am I kidding? That's more action than I've gotten in my 4 years in high school.

I sigh. It's been a long week. I cheer up when I remember today is the last day of my fast which meant I got dinner tonight. My stomach grumbled at the thought of food.

The gentle scuffing of shoe against pavement reminded me that I was not alone. Yup, Grey walked me home for the remainder of the week after nearly chewing my head off for leaving school early on Wednesday. He had seemed genuinely worried about me.

To be honest, Grey hadn't turned out to be what I expected at all. He was nice and really hadn't tried to force me into anything. He kept his distance but I still always felt his eyes on me.

I stopped and turned to look at him. What have him the right to be so cute???

"Gracie, are you okay?" I realised I was still staring at him.

"Let's walk together" His eyes brightened and he full on grinned before quickly striding to my side. We continued in the direction of my house.

"How was your first week?" He asks.

"It was.... different." I chose my words carefully. "At least I made a friend."

"Aww c'mon" he pouted "I'm your friend too"

He was even cuter with a pout. I laughed "You are?"

"I'm your best friend, Gracie"

The butterflies in my stomach had to be throwing a party.  "Woah... next thing I know you'll be weaving friendship bracelets" I teased.

"Uhhhhh...sure.... I certainly haven't started already" He darted his eyes around, acting nervous.

"Grey!" I laughed and he stared at me, his eyes wide.

"What?"

"N- nothing" he stuttered, looking away.

"C'mooon, why were you staring at me like that?"

"It's just...you said my name"

"So?" I had called him by his name before hadn't I?

"I like it"

I smiled. We were already at the last corner before my house.

"Alright, I'll see you on Monday?" He looked sad.

"Yeah, sure. Bye, Grey" I emphasized his name.

He smiled, showing his teeth. "Adios Gracie"

I felt his eyes on me until I stepped through my front door.

                    *************

Grey.

"Grey, where have you been?" Jared shot as I walked into the house. He and a couple of the pack leaders as well as my father were gathered in the living room, getting ready to leave for the Red Blood pack.

I ignore him, heading for the stairs. "Grayson"

I smile genuinely when I notice she's in the room as well. "Good afternoon mum" I chuckle when I have to practically bend to kiss her cheek. I'll never get over how small she is.

"How was school, dear?" She tilts her head up to look at me.

"It was school. How else would it be?"

She laughed. "Come on. I hear there's something you've been keeping from me"

I let her lead me away from the room and outside to the garden.

"Me?" I said, acting shocked "Why would I be crazy enough to keep something from my own mother?

"Really? So when were you planning on telling me you found your mate?"

Fudge.

"Uhh...soon?" I was honestly going to tell her but I wasn't sure she wouldn't be so excited that she'd tell my father. "How did you find out?"

"From somebody who cared enough about me to keep me in the loop"She teased.

Fucking Mason.

"I was going to tell you, mum, honestly."

"Yeah, whatever. Why haven't you brought her over yet? Or have I met her? Is she from our pack?" Her excitement was literally bouncing off the walls.

"Calm down!" I laughed "You'll meet her soon"

Y'know, when she starts letting me even touch her.

"Hmmm" she wrinkled her nose "Alright then. I've got to go say goodbye to your father"

I watched her go. I wondered how she would react if I told her my mate was human. I'd never been sure about my mother's view on humans. For her, it depended on the situation. For my father, however, well, let's just say he didn't plan to be best friends with one anytime soon.

Nor father-in-law.

I sighed and headed to my room. I wasn't going to watch everybody wish my father a safe journey. The man could die for all I cared.

                      **************

I ate dinner alone that night. My mother was wallowing in her room since my father was gone and none of the pack members decided to come to the dining room since their alpha and pack leaders weren't around.

I hated how everybody's lives seemed to revolve around him.

I wolf down my large portion of spaghetti that somebody had thankfully prepared for me quickly. I didn't want anybody to meet me in here and try to make small talk.

After finishing dinner, I went out onto the back porch. I couldn't shake this feeling I had, as if something bad was about to happen. The night was lovely, with a million bright stars spreading out over our house and the forest that lay behind it. Everywhere was calm, the water in the pool was practically screaming my name.

I wondered if Gracie knew how to swim. I smirked, it certainly would be fun to teach her. Holding her waist, trying to get her to float...

Normally just thinking about my little mate would calm me but it wasn't working. Something was happening...

I just hoped it wasn't to Gracie.

I shuddered, thinking about somebody harming her.

I pulled my tank top over my head and my cargo pants off, leaving me in just my boxers and dived right into the deep end of the pool.

I savoured effect of the cool water on my body. I didn't know how long I was in there before I heard Ryan mind linking me.

What he said made me rush towards the house without bothering to put my clothes back on.

Most of the pack was gathered in the living room around something...someone.

They all moved out of the way and immediately my eyes fell on the person they were all gathered around, my heart fell.

"No"

"Grey-"

"No, no this can't be happening"

"I'm sorry Grey, but- but they're dead"

Who is the person they were all gathered around of?

Who's the 'they' that are dead???

Why is Grey so devastated?!

Can't lie, love suspense.

Vote and comment humans! ❤️