46.

Grey.

The wait after the note was anti-climatic. It had been three weeks and there had been no attack.

We had been training relentlessly, of course. We had men yards outside our borders on all sides ready to alert us. We were prepared.

Any day now.

.

.

* 2 days post-war *

"Tamara Grace, we need you to tell us what you remember," the man repeated, his voice getting firmer but not raising his tone one bit.

I understood he had to be frustrated. I would be too. He had been asking me the same question for a while now.

I could hear him. I think I could even understand him. But the link between that and actually forming an answer seemed to be broken.

"Tamara Grace, it's important. The more time we lose..."

He was right. Trouble was, I didn't want to remember. I didn't want those memories back in my head.

"I remember the beginning..."

*** Back to present ***

Fire.

That was my first thought when I woke up. Except I realised that I hadn't woken up by myself. Grey had shaken me awake and now had a tight grip on my arm and was pulling me out of bed.

"You need to get to the safehouse now"

Shit.

"They're here? They're attacking?"

"Yes, Gracie. We need to go now" he was shoving my feet into shoes and pulling me towards the door.

"Grey, I want to fight. I told you"

He ignored me.

I ground my feet into the ground, "Grey! I'm not going to the safehouse and waiting like a damsel in distress for the fight to be over. I want to fight, I want to help you."

He whirled around, his eyes blazing "We do not have time for whatever this shit is Tamara Grace. A lot of havoc is about to be wreaked. Get to the fucking safehouse now!"

Grey never called me by my full name. Grey never swore at me.

"Fine" I pushed past him and headed for the safehouse which was miles below the actual house and needed like a billion passwords to get into. Passwords that were guarded so well that even I didn't know them.

I got to the elevator where some other women and children of the pack were also waiting to get on. Grey entered the password and we all trooped in.

The ride was awkward and consisted of me glaring at Grey and him pretending not to notice, staring straight ahead. The doors opened revealing a well-lighted space with women and children of the pack. Everybody on the elevator got off except me and Grey.

"Tamara Grace," he said through gritted teeth.

"Grey."

"Look, my men are out there fighting. I don't have time for this, I need to go and join them. Go out of the elevator." His voice was hard.

"Grey, please. I don't think I can just sit here and do nothing while you're-" involuntarily, tears sprang to my eyes. I didn't want to even imagine him getting hurt.

His expression softened and he sighed and stepped towards me, taking me in his arms, "Baby, please. I won't be able to focus if you're out there and I need to focus. I need to know you're safe down here so that I can protect my pack properly. Please"