48.

Gracie.

Hope is a beautiful concept. It's saved lives, it's dried tears, but it's also been the destroyer of many.

They'd finally let me into the room Grey was in and I hadn't left since.

He was still in his wolf form, they kept giving him stuff to prevent him from shifting...they said he'd heal faster in this form.

So now, in front of me was a giant wolf, unconscious as if he were dead.

But he wasn't.

I kept my eyes on his rising and falling belly to remind myself of that.

And sometimes, his breathing got so shallow that I had to put a finger beneath his giant nose to make sure air was still escaping it.

I spoke to him about the most random of things. I told him how I liked my shirt because it was cotton, I told him about my childhood, I told him about Jesus, I told him Bible stories, I told how much I missed him, how much I wished he would come back.

I cleaned him everyday right before the doctors came and changed his bandages. I gently ran a wet cloth over his thick, long fur. I washed in between his toes and between the pads of his feet. I washed his face and inside his ears.

I did everything to distract myself- even for a few seconds- from the fact that my mate was dying.

And then one day, while I was cleaning him and talking about how I was thinking of getting a haircut, he started jerking. They were small tremors at first until they got wilder, his legs kicking the air.

"Doctor!!!" I screamed out the door and Dr. Johnson came running into the room with his team that had been treating Grey.

"What's happening? Somebody please tell me what's happening!" They ignored me.

"He's trying to shift," Dr. Johnson said to his team, already injecting some fluids into Grey.

"What? Isn't it too soon?"

There was a lot of activity around Grey and I was being jostled around.

"It is. This shift could kill him"

My heart dropped to my stomach, I felt my face go white.

"Somebody get her out of here" the doctor ordered and one of the younger doctors approached me and began gently guiding me to the door.

"I'm not going anywhere"

"Miss-"

"I am your Luna, and I said I'm not leaving. Get back to saving my mate!"

He immediately stepped back, baring his neck seemingly involuntarily... something I'd seen them do to Grey.

I stayed in a corner of the room, out of their way while they worked.

"He's shifting, we can't stop it," Dr. Johnson suddenly announced, "Step back everyone"

Him and all members of his team stopped what they were doing and stepped back from Grey.

The shift was quick and soon the boy I was so familiar with replaced the wolf I didn't know so well.

Grey looked even worse in human form. He had black bruises decorating his body. He had also lost quite a bit of weight.

"Alright, back to work everybody!"

The team moved forward again and started fiddling with Grey. Injecting some things, changing his bandages, twisting him this way and that while I waited with bated breath.

After what seemed like forever, they finally stopped.

"Doctor? Is-" I was afraid to ask.

Luckily he answered my unasked question, "He survived, Luna"

My lungs filled with air. Thank God.

"We just have to keep a close watch on him. If he survives the night, I can assure you that he'll be okay"

I couldn't stop myself from throwing my arms around him, "Thank you, Doctor. Thank you"

"Uhhh- you're welcome Luna"

I released him, realising how uncomfortable I was making him.

When they left, I say down beside Grey, Mason and Ryan on either side of me.

Please be okay.

~•~•~•~••~••~•~•~••~

Grey.

"I want to go back" I whimpered for the millionth time.

I'd decided that the man blocking the gate was either deaf or didn't understand English.

I didn't know how long I'd been in this place for but I knew it'd been too long.

Last thing I remember was lying on that field watching my mate trying to defend me from Eric.

Then I had passed out and woken up here.

Where was 'here'?

I didn't know.

It was a large field covered in green grass, stretching as far as the eye can see. There are no mountains and the land is even and all you can see is green grass.

I had woken up quite a distance from here; the man and the gate were just dots in the horizon. The only dots.

So I'd dragged myself to them. It took what felt like days. But then it seemed like time didn't exist here. The sky never changed from the cloudless light blue it was. Night never came, there wasn't ever a sun.

When I finally got to them, I was on the verge of collapsing. The man didn't acknowledge my presence in any way. But somehow I knew him and the gate were my way out of here.

I begged him for hours. Then for the first time, I noticed I wasn't human. I was in my wolf form. How I hadn't noticed since, I didn't know. But I had four legs and was covered in fur.

That was the problem. He couldn't understand a wolf.

I needed to shift.

I started trying to but it seemed like something was knocking me back right when I was on the verge of actually changing form.

It was frustrating. I tried and tried until it tired me out and I fell asleep.

I woke up with renewed energy. And I put all of it towards shifting.

The thing tried knocking me back again but I fought it.

And then it was done.

I was human.

I got to my feet and faced the man again.

"You have to let me out"

This time, he looked at me. Looked at me, not through me like he'd been doing all this while. But he didn't move.

"I need to go back. My mate is there, she's waiting for me. My mother, my pack, my friends. I NEED to go back. There's too much I have to do, to say," I was panicking. My chest seemed to be closing, my eyes were watering, "Please"

He stared at me for a while and then nodded once.

~••~~••~•~•~•~••~•~

Gracie.

"He's awake"