42.

Gracie.

The moon was late.

I had heard Eric whispering to somebody furiously about it that morning. There was supposed to be an almost-full moon yesterday night with the completely full one tonight but there wasn't.

That was enough it kick-start my escape plan. I was kidnapped on Christmas day which was a full moon which meant today was the 25th and tomorrow the 26th.

My birthday.

And I'd be damned if I spent my 18th birthday in this place.

Liz, the girl I'd met in the kitchens the other day, had absolutely refused to help me because it would put her in too much trouble. However, she had whispered a pretty useful tips as she served my food a few nights ago.

And that's what I was banking on.

My mum had always told me to aim for the stars and not the sky, that way, if I missed, I'd land on a cloud.

I thought I'd have a bit more time to check if the tip was correct and create a proper plan but I was going to have to trust her and hope that a cloud caught me.

I'd made it a habit to walk in the gardens every morning for anybody that was watching. So, after getting dressed that morning, I headed to the gardens.

It was my favourite place in the entire house. Green and vibrant. There were carefully maintained hedges, bright flowers, and tall trees. There were also park benches in random places for people to relax on.

Once again, like I'd done since I discovered the place, I wondered who had designed the place. Eric didn't strike me as the type to be interested in any way in having a garden let alone be thoughtful enough to put in benches. Benches were for people who wanted to enjoy nature once in a while. That wasn't Eric.

Usually I chose a bench close to the house so that anybody watching would see me clearly but today, I wandered.

Acting lost in thoughts, I let myself seem as if I was just drifting. Smelt a flower here, played with a butterfly there, until I got to the bench I was looking for and sat down.

Perfect.

I opened the book I'd brought along as a prop and sat there for the next two hours, monitoring what would be the most important point of my escape.

When I was satisfied, I closed the book and headed back to the house.

It was lunchtime and I usually just had a sandwich alone in the small dining room that adjoined the kitchen.

I was on my way to the kitchen to get my sandwich when one of the maids came up to meet me.

"Alpha is waiting for you in the big dining room ma'am".

I didn't bother asking her any of the multiple questions that ran through my head.

She was just the messenger.

Instead, I headed to the big dining room where Eric and I usually had dinner together and found him sitting in his usual place at the head.

The dining table could seat 20 people comfortably which made it ridiculous for just two people to use it, even more ridiculous for two people to sit there eating sandwiches.

"What are you doing Eric?"

He smiled. Eric's smiles scared me when they were directed at me. His mouth was wide and his eyes cold. The smile of a predator.

"Having lunch with you. What does it seem like?"

"We don't have lunch together"

His smile dropped, "well we're staring today. Sit down."