37.

Grey.

My head hurt, my heart hurt, I was angry with everybody, but I was furious with myself.

My mate was gone.

And it was my fault.

I pulled at my hair and ended up actually tugging some out of the roots.

I let out a growl that shook the lighter items in my office. There was this weight in my chest, it made me feel like a bomb, just waiting to go off.

I wanted to destroy things, people, anything. I wanted to do something but I felt so completely helpless.

Gracie had been gone for a week and we were no closer to finding her than we were the day she was taken.

I growled again as I thought about Ciara and my own fucking stupidity. I knew she was dangerous, sure I never imagined her to be this dangerous, but I knew she was dangerous and I still let her into my house.

And Scott. The son of a bitch. I wasn't surprised when we were watching the security footage and he walked into the frame right after Ciara stuck that needle in Gracie's arm. I could manage a lot of things but I couldn't stand a liar.

I pulled the door of my office open and burst into the room next door. The him of activity in the room stopped for a second before it started again. This was the Control Room aka the room where I have wolves looking for my mate 25/7.

People bustling up and down, staring at computer screens with incomprehensible diagrams and figures on them. In the corner, there was a group around a table analyzing a large map. In another corner were people watching and rewatching the security footage from the night Gracie was taken, trying to find anything that could give us a clue as to where to start looking.

Because honestly we had nothing. We had sent our best sniffers out to follow their trail but they said the scents stopped right at the edge of the woods. Just disappeared. And there were no tire tracks or anything. As if Ciara, Scott, and my mate simply vanished into thin air.

Today was the day Ryan, Mason, and I were going to the area where a member of the Shadow Pack was last seen.

I looked at the time on my phone and my jaw ticked in irritation. Where were they, did they realize every single second counted.

I walked out of the control room and immediately saw them running up to me.

"Sorry we're late w-"

"Let's go" I growled. I didn't have time for excuses.

I got to my car and pulled open the door. I used too much force and the handle actually broke into my hand.

"Why don't you let me drive?" Mason asked and I growled at him in response.

He came closer, "You're not calm, you're missing your mate. We could get into a car accident. Let me drive Alpha".

He made sense, he made a lot of sense. I shoved the car key into his hand and went round and got into the passenger's seat.

Ryan got in the back and Mason started driving. It was a nice day, one of those days that Gracie loved, warm with clear blue skies.

It was weird that it was this warm in Winter but then I guess with the new year came new weather.

I'd almost completely forgotten that today was New year's day. But somehow, I'd remembered.

I sat back and looked out if the window. The car was quiet, neither of them making a peep.

I wondered if they were anywhere as anxious as I was to get Gracie back. I knew Ryan had really come to care for Gracie. A fact that didn't hit me until I caught him crying after she was taken. But I wasn't sure about Mason. He was his usual stoic self. The person he had forced himself to be after what happened a few years ago.