47.

Gracie.

***2 days post-war***

"You haven't touched your coffee. It'll be cold now. Do you want me to get you a new cup?" I asked the man.

He placed a hand over the cup, "That's quite alright. Please continue the story."

"Nonsense" I got up and took his cup, "It's no bother"

I took my time pouring the almost tepid liquid down the drain and then refilling the cup from the coffee pot.

He was still waiting patiently when I placed the cup in front of him.

"Would you like something to eat? I'm sure I can find some cookies or something", I headed for the cupboards.

"Miss." His tone was firm but calm, "Please, sit down"

I got back on my stool opposite him on at the island.

"Okay"

**** Back to present *****

The elevator door opening was like the portal to another world opening. I stepped out into noise and chaos that seemed to be coming from all around me. Surprisingly, I hadn't needed to enter another password all the way up. Turns out they worked to keep people out, not in.

I didn't know what direction to head in first. My first priority was finding Grey. It seemed like most of the fighting was still taking place outside, on the packhouse grounds. So, I went outside.

It was horrifying. The sky was the light grey of dawn but there was no sign of a rising sun. Men were snarling and squealing as the ground became greasy with gore. Some, still in their human forms, while the rest had shifted. Quite a few of the fighters seemed to be injured in one way or the other. I couldn't tell who was who in their wolf forms, as a result, I didn't know if the injured fighters were our pack wolves.

Grey.

I looked around, I couldn't spot his big wolf anywhere. 

I edged around the fight going deeper and deeper into the war, my heart beating fast.

When I did finally find Grey, I wished I hadn't.

"Grey!" I heard myself screaming. That scream would probably be the one thing I would spend the rest of my life regretting.

His entire fur was covered in blood and he had whole chunks of flesh missing from his body.

His left hind leg was twisted horribly and he looked like he would collapse at any moment.

Before him was Eric in wolf form. He was also covered in blood with flesh missing... But his legs seemed to be intact.

When I screamed, Grey immediately looked at me, taking his eyes off his opponent.

Eric took wasn't one to let opportunities pass him by. He immediately leaped and latched his teeth onto Grey's exposed neck.

It was a difficult position to free yourself from- even more difficult with a broken leg. Grey kept trying to extricate himslef from the death-grip but it seemed that his efforts were only helping Eric latch on better. 

This couldn't be happening. I was watching my mate getting killed right in front of me. 

I saw exacly when Grey stopped fighting. I saw excatly when he gave up. 

I also saw exactly when Eric was knocked off Grey.

By me. 

Eric landed not far away and I rushed to Grey. 

"Baby, please please. Please try. Don't die. Please. For me. Please try."

I heard a roar from behind me.  Eric was back.

I turned around to face him, putting myself between him and Grey. It must have been a comical sight, a human girl putting herself between two 14-feet wolves.

"Eric, please"

The beast before me snarled and crouched low. His snout to the ground, his rear raised high. An attacking stance. 

I took a step forward, putting one hand forward while the other went under my shirt. 

Eric snarled and jerked his head. Even I knew that meant I should get out of the way. 

Another step forward. I found what I was looking for under my shirt just in time.

Eric leaped, going right over me for Grey- going for the kill. 

The silver of my dagger glinted in the light briefly before it sunk into the soft underbelly of the wolf.

Eric howled as he fell to the ground, landing on top of Grey.

I approached them cautiously. Eric rolled off of Grey but he was still too weak to stand up, the silver coursing through his veins. In a minute or two, he would be dead. Ryan galloped to me, shifting to his human form as he reached me. 

"Tamara Grace, are you okay?" he inspected me for injuries.

"I'm fine. Please, Grey"

Grey was lying on the ground. His eyes were closed and he wasn't moving. 

Ryan rushed to his side, "He's still breathing but it's weak. We need a doctor immediately"

I looked at the battlefield. The fighting had stopped, everybody watching the drama going on. 

Molten-red blood covered most of the area with dead bodies and ripped off body parts littering the ground. It was disgusting.

"Are you happy now?!!!!!" I screamed, "Do you know how many people have died today????????"

The field of wolves and men all stared at me.

"Shadow pack, your leader is dead and we still outnumber you. Surrender now and live or don't, and join him before the sun rises"

A few wolves immediately started leaving.

"It's your choice"

Others started reluctantly shifting back to their human forms and retreating.

The pack doctor ran up to us having apparently been mindlinked by Ryan. He knelt by Grey and examined him, his face growing whiter by the second.

"He's in a very critical situation Luna, we need to move him"

"Okay let's get to work"

As the last of the Shadow Pack dispersed, I locked eyes with a very familiar face. She nodded slightly at me before disappearing into the crowd.

*** 2 days post-war***

"And that's it. They moved Grey into that room. They told me they had to put a stay on him that would prevent him from shifting because him staying in his wolf form is his only chance at surviving this," My voice broke,

"And even then, he might not"