Preface: life condoned on the streets

Remus, 21:

    Remus knew the moment they slept on a bench, he could not care for her anymore.

    Her, is Penny Bell Potter.

    Harry's little sister.

    Remus's goddaughter. 

    He did not hesitate to take her in, when morning arrived that dreadful day after Halloween.

    His friends were dead, James...Prongs...was the first to die.

    Lily... who always kept James in check... died protecting her children.

    Peter...wormtail, the shy and caring friend... blown to pieces by Sirius.

    Sirius....Padfoot.... killed 13 muggles, along with our friend. He betrayed James and Lily, and killed Peter.

    I questioned Dumbledore if Sirius could really be capable of it, if maybe they're was some mistake, but he brushed it off.

    He had stopped by that next morning with a little bundle in his arms.

   It was Penny, I immediately recognized her, she was my god daughter after all.

   Dumbledore told me how Harry had been put in the protection of his aunt. They couldn't take her in.

   So he brought her to me, her guardian in case the possiblity of anything bad were to happen. 

    Which is exactly what happened.

   I accepted Lily's and James request, thinking they would always be around.

   But I was wrong.

    The wizarding world was celebrating the defeat of you-know-who, while suddenty I'm faced with the burden of loneliness.

   Everyone I know is dead or a traitor.  

   So I said yes, I don't know whether it was for me not to be alone anymore, or because I really did care about her.

   She's James and Lily's daughter, they were robbed of the privilege of watching her grow up.

    She's only 6 weeks.

   I looked at her in Dumbledore's arms, her checks rosy and brunette hair starting to grow, and prepared for my life to change.

    It did, but not in the way I wanted.

    Children are expensive, they need food, diapers clothes, cribs, And I found that I had no ways of getting them.

   No one wanted to hire a werewolf, and if they did, they wouldn't give decent pay, certainly not enough to supply for a child.

    The time came when I started falling behind on rent.

    She was two months.

   Then we lost our home after a month of scraping as much as we could.

   She was three months old.

   I could tell she would have James personality, she constantly clinged on to me for dear life.

   We only had each other.

    She was at the stage where she could start laughing at anything her baby brain found funny.

   It was the sweetest sound in one of my darkest times.

   Every time I went to pick her up, she made cooing noises as I hugged her.