Chapter 18-- Lunch Date

A million thoughts were running through my mind. One of them being that I was going to lunch with Ashton.

I don't know what to expect. What should I expect? I was scared, but at the same time excited too. Ever since I first felt feelings towards him, all I've wanted was for him to ask me out.

Throwing my books into my locker, I grabbed my coat and ran towards the side entrance doors to meet him.

I wandered around outside for a bit, looking for him. The last place I even thought about checking was the smoke pit... and of course, he was there.

I leaned against the brick wall of the school as I watched him talk to some of Cory's friends. I mentally cringed as I saw him take a drag of a cigarette.

Ashton looked over and spotted me. He excused himself from the group of smokers and headed over in my direction.

I shot him a smile as he took a drag before dropping it onto the ground and squishing the cigarette butt.

"Hey sorry about that" He said as he approached me.

"It's alright"

As we started to walk towards the student parking lot, I quietly followed behind Ashton as neither of us made any attempt to speak. This wasn't how our lunch was going to go, was it?

We got into his hummer and backed out of the parking lot. He turned on the radio and hummed as a familiar song started to play.

I clutched onto the red leather passenger seat as the car kept swerving because of how bad Ashton was at driving.

"You're a scary driver" I said, cautiously watching the road.

"Yeah... sorry about that. I failed my test a few times"

"So they eventually let you pass?"

"Yeah, after my dad bribed them"

We passed the main part of town where all the restaurants were and just kept driving towards the highway. I glanced in the rearview mirror at the 'Thanks for visiting' sign as we merged onto the highway.

The next town isn't for another thirty minutes. That's not enough time to get there let alone eat.

"Where are we going?" I asked

"My house"

He could not be serious. There's no way in heck that I'm missing the last class of the day right before spring break.

"There's no way I'm missing my last class"

"That sucks but I'm not turning around."

I scoffed at him, "yes you are. I have my dad's class next and I'm pretty sure he'll notice that his daughter isn't there"

Shrugging, "just tell him you felt sick and I gave you a ride" he replied.

As tempting as it was... I couldn't. My parents would be ashamed if they found out that I had lied and ruined my perfect attendance streak.

"No" I groaned, shaking my head, "you need to take me back."

"Nope"