Chapter 24-- Sweets

"Wanna do something fun?" Cory suggested.

"You sound like my mom" I groaned, while over dramatically rolling my eyes, "what do you have in mind?

For the past few hours, Cory and I have been sitting in his car in the middle of a park-- just talking. And laughing. Cory told me about the time when he was younger, his older brother pants him in the middle of his jazz band solo.

Yes, Cory was in jazz band. He played the saxophone for almost 10 years until some kids started to pick on him-- he ditched the sax and started playing hockey.

I saw a different side of him, a side that no one has ever really seen before. He didn't say anything flirty or make any crude remarks... he was normal.

"There's this party by the riverine and I heard from a little birdie that a certain someone's gonna be there"

"No more parties" I groaned, remembering the last time-- when I got way too drunk and puked all over the inside of Ashton's hummer.

"C'mon, it will be fun"

I glanced down at the clock and noticed it was nearly 12 am. That's way to late to be going to a party, plus my mom would kill me if she found out I skipped out on her plans to go to this party.

"Cory, I really appreciate the offer but I don't think it's a good idea"

"Ok that's fine... do you at least want to go get some burgers?

"Burgers sound great"

"I'll just check to see what's open around here" He said, while quickly pulling out his phone.

****

As we walked into the burger shack, I watched the waitress, who looked half asleep as she poured an older gentlemen's coffee. It was kinda nice that there were only 2 other customers here.

Cory and I took a seat in the back booth of the retro-looking diner. The waitress slowly brought over menus and told us the specials before leaving us.

"What are you going to get?" I asked Cory as his eyes scanned the menu.

"I'm in the mood for some pancakes but the waffles look pretty good too..."

"I haven't even seen the waffles yet!"

Flipping through the menu was making my stomach growl, I guess I never realized how hungry I actually was until I saw all the pictures. After about five minutes, the tired-looking waitress came back and took our orders.

After the waitress wandered into the kitchen, Cory stood up with his hands hidden in his letterman jacket pockets. I eyed him suspiciously as he skittishly looked around the diner.

"Well I just need to pee so I'll be right back" He said, still glancing around the quiet diner.

I watched him as he made a mad dash towards the bathrooms, I found that a bit strange but instead of over worrying, I ignored it. Waiting for him to return, I pulled out my phone and was in the middle of sending a text to my mom when someone standing above me cleared their throat.

I looked up and froze when realizing who it was standing in front of me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Ashton.

His eyes were looking anywhere but my direction and it was pretty obvious that he'd rather be anywhere else but near me. I was actually kind of hurt by that.

"Cory invited me for burgers... what are you doing here?" He asked, still not looking at me.

"Cory and I are getting burgers!"