Chapter 28-- Mini Golf Adventures

It was Monday morning and I was anxiously waiting in the student parking lot for Ashton to show up.

He didn't call all weekend and it made me so worried to the point where a few times I found myself dialing his number before stopping.

As the bell rang I gave up and turned around, ready to head back into the school. He probably knew something bad was going to happen to him so he decided to skip the punishment.

Tears prickled the corner of my eyes as I came to the realization that if he doesn't show up, it means he doesn't care about his future. I care about him so much and yet when he does stuff like this...

"Maggie" a voice suddenly said from behind me.

I turned around and nearly started to cry even harder at the sight of my beautiful man. He looked like such a young boy with his messy hair and frown, and I knew just from looking at him that something was wrong.

"Ashton, hi" I replied, not really sure what to say

I was stunned, to say the least. Also a bit concerned for both his and mine's safety. Never would I expect him to get violent but after what happened, I don't know what to think anymore.

"How are you?" He asked, eyes glued to the cement pavement.

"Good, and you?"

"Fine-- thanks. My dad passed away on Friday"

My heart dropped at the mention of his dad. I can't imagine being 18 and losing one of your parents, especially to cancer. It all made sense now, Ashton got high to deal with the pain of losing his father.

"I'm so sorry to hear that"

He shrugged it off without looking up at me still, "it's ok. It's life-- things like this happen"

We fell back into a silence as the second bell rang. I had physics first too and my dad was going to realize soon enough that his child wasn't in his class.

"I should probably go..." I mumbled, glancing over my shoulder at the school.

"Yeah me too. I guess I should go see what my punishment is"

"Good idea"

We walked into the school together and as Ashton said his goodbyes to me before walking into the office, I felt my heart sting. He seemed so lost and innocent in all this, I can't blame him for what happened between us or his dad. Everyone has different ways to cope with their situations and he decided to lash out.

I'm not saying that's ok-- because it's not and I know that. I just know that when you're hurt by something, you do things that can be later regretful.

I watched the back of his hat until it disappeared around a corner and that's when I forced myself to stay strong. He's most likely getting expelled and won't be allowed to return back onto school grounds. And I don't even know if we're still together or not... I think so, but does he?

Oh god, this also could be the last time we see each other.

"Maggie, why are you late?" My Dad asked as I walked into his class.