Chapter 5--North Vancouver

I was praying Penny was safe. I couldn't trust Ashton and I certainly couldn't trust him with Penny.

I was kicking myself for not getting his number earlier because now I really wanted to call him and check up to see if he was doing his responsibilities of taking care of our child. It was killing me not to know. And, if he's the reason I get a bad mark in this class... I will murder him.

I had to do something to get this off my mind. Heck I'd even watch one of Amy's soppy rom-com movies because at the rate I'm going I'll be spending my night worrying about this and it's literally going to kill me.

While I stared at my computer screen, my phone buzzed from beside me. I glanced over at  Amy's name as it flashed on the screen. Quickly, I snatched it and instead of reading what her text said, I called her.

"Why are you calling?" She asked on the first ring.

"Wanna go for a drive?" I blurted out while completely ignoring her question.

One thing I really appreciated about Amy was that she's always down to do anything. Whenever. Wither that's crying about a bad test mark (or a guy in her case), or laughing like idiots because of a stupid memory of when we were younger. She's always there for a good time.

"You said last time I drove you that I was scary and that you'd never get in the car with me again..."

"That's so not true..."

"It is..."

"OK well whatever." I groaned, "are you going to pick me up or not?"

"Give me 20" She replied before hanging up.

I debated on wearing my pyjamas but the thought of Ashton seeing me in my kitten pair made me stop and reconsider.

Quickly, I threw on my leggings and some decent smelling shirt and grabbed my backpack before running out my bedroom door.

My mom was standing at the stove, stirring something in a bowl when she looked up and noticed me. She had to have heard my loud breathing from running down the stairs.

"I'm going out with Amy for a while" I announced while slinging on my bag.

She stopped stirring as she looked at me with suspicion in her eyes, "I made your favourite pasta though"

My shoulders slumped, "mom she's having a crisis! You know how she gets... remember last time..."

Her eyes darted down and away from me, "did you at least finish your homework?"

"Yes.."

"OK just be home by 10 and make sure you stop and have something for dinner. You're dad loves this pasta too" she shouted as I sprinted towards the front door just as Amy was pulling up.

I shot Amy a smile as I climbed into the passenger seat. I could see Timothy sitting in his car seat in the back. God I hated those babies.

"What exactly do you have in mind? And i know it's not aimlessly driving around because we all know you hate that"

"North Van..." I whispered as I felt my face scrunch up.

Instantly the car came to a stop and Amy's head swivelled in my direction, "are you crazy? North Van? That's like an hour drive! I told my parents we'd be coming right back"

"I'll buy you food"

She didn't even have to consider that, "deal"

****

North Vancouver was like an entirely different place than the city. We were surrounded by trees and mountains instead of skyscrapers and fancy hotels.