Chapter 9-- Who Likes Who?

How am I supposed to face Cory today? Or everyone else in that matter? I know for a fact that Amy and Ashton will ask. What if Cory already told the entire school that I walked out? Or what if he twisted the truth and made up some complete lie?

Oh god. I never even thought about that.

Would he even acknowledge me? Or would he just look the other way?

My legs were anxiously shaking as I sat in our car. The ride was going by incredibly slowly, with each passing second I was growing more and more anxious.

"Calm down will you? You're acting like a freak" My mom commented as she eyed me.

"I can't help it!"

As we pulled up into the school parking lot-- my mom barely stopped the car before I flung open the door and ran out. I sprinted through the front doors, feeling and probably looking frantic.

I stopped walking when I saw the familiar brown hair and letterman jacket round the corner with a cheerleader on his arm. I felt like such a fool, I should've never agreed to go out with him. Why am I such an idiot?

Cory and the cheerleader didn't even look in my direction as they walked by. I wanted to do something-- scream out, cause a scene-- anything, just to express my anger and hurt towards him.

"Were you ever planning on texting me back?" A familiar voice shouted behind me.

I turned around and saw Amy standing with Timothy and she doesn't look happy with me. I fell asleep last night and might've accidentally forgotten to text her back.

"Sorry I was really tired" I lied, "my date went really well... But I don't think we're gonna see each other again."

"Why it's Cory Reynolds!" She practically shouted, to the point where I had to shush her, "do you know how long I've been crushing on him?"

"Yeah and I felt bad because I really just didn't feel the chemistry with him while I know you do... And I didn't want to take that away from you"

"You're the best"

Timothy started to cry so Amy excused herself, saying that she'd meet me in Health class. I stared at my closed locker as I blinked back the tears.

****

I wanted to be alone for lunch, I didn't want to see Cory or any of his friends including Ashton. So, I hid in my mom's office for the 45 minutes until getting kicked out because she had to discipline a kid.

I grabbed my books and made my way to Health class, eager to just get it over with. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw him sitting at our desk. I glanced over at the clock, we still had 10 minutes until class even started, why was Ashton here so early?

He looked up from his phone at me, "hey"

"Hey"

I awkwardly sat down beside him and Penny and stared at the clock, watching as time slowly ticked by.

As soon as the bell rang, Mr Vanderhough hurried into the classroom and stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Ashton sitting at our desk. I mentally laughed as I watched Mr V glance up at the clock then back to Ashton, not believing his eyes.