Chapter 36

The 501st, the 212th and the 104th members gathered outside the ship. Anakin, ready to go and search for his Padawan, was getting a little too antsy.

" Anakin, please stand still. We need to discuss a plan." Obi Wan tapped his arm. 

" Then what's the plan and when can we start putting it into action?" he said quickly.

" I have talked with Duchess Satine before the mission and she gave me a list of the most common areas that Death Watch has last been spotted."

" Ok, so what are we still doing here, let's -"

" What did I say about patience, Skywalker." Plo interrupted him, turning back to his fellow council member. " Please continue Master Kenobi."

Obi Wan gave him a gracious nod. " As I was saying, she gave me a few coordinates to check out, but there is no guarantee that we'll find anyone there. Death Watch disappears as quick as they come, though these places are a start, I'm afraid it's a gamble." 

" Well, that doesn't seem like a choice. Either we try or do nothing." Anakin chimed in once his Master was done. 

" I'll send you the coordinates and we'll each take a sector." once Anakin got the notification he looked at his friend with eager, pleading eyes. 

Obi Wan sighed, " Yes, you can go now." he shooed his old Padawan off.

     Anakin stopped outside of the fifth and last abandoned building on the list. Obi Wan and Plo were searching the other parts and so far, none of them had any luck. At this point Anakin was getting discouraged. He didn't want the last time seeing his Padawan to be her shunning him out. He wouldn't let that happen.

" Kix, Rex, you guys take the first floor while Dogma, Echo and I take the second."

The two groups went their separate ways. Rex had his hands on his pistols just in case there was any reason to shoot at a surprise attacker. There hadn't been any sign of Death Watch since they arrived and he doubted that this building would be any different.

" Do you think we'll find anyone this time?" he asked the medic with him.

Kix shrugged. " Hard to say, I know if we don't then the General isn't going to be too happy bout it."

Rex had to agree there. " For his sake, I hope we find something." 

Kix stopped in his tracks. He sniffed the air and immediately scrunched his nose.

" What's with the face?" Rex asked giving him a weird look.

" You don't smell that?" 

" I mean, there was a foul stench, but I thought it was just the building."

Kix shook his head. " I don't think so. It's coming from that direction." he pointed back to one of the hall they had passed.

" Wanna take a look then?" the Captain gestured with his head behind them.

" I don't see why not." 

They entered to what looked like was once a series of holding cells. As soon as the opened the door was when the aroma got much stronger.

" Yeah, that's definitely it." Kix pinched his nose and started to peer inside each cell.

" Maybe it's an animal that died?" Rex suggested taking the opposite side of the room.

" That's not it. It seems to me like it's a-uh Rex...come here."

" What, what is it Kix." Rex came hustling over.  

" I think I found the source of the awful scent." Kix said with a disgusted look on his face as he  stared at the corpse of a dead senator.