Chapter 14

Anakin released his student from the hug that she needed. He watched her wipe away her tears going back to her normal state. 

" Come on Snips, we can go bury Governor Roshti now." 

Ahsoka nodded and silently left the cockpit after her master. Outside the ship the rest of the men were making a fire. On Shili it was normally warm during the day and cool during the night.

Ahsoka made her way to the pile of leafs that the governor laid upon. The clones had already dug a hole in the ground next to a small patch of wild flowers. All that was needed was for the body to be placed.

Using the force, Ahsoka lowered Roshti into the ground. He looked so peaceful. He had nothing to worry about anymore. He was finally one with the force. After everything he had been through, Ahsoka knew he was happy to be free from all the pain of the galaxy.

She recited a few traditional Togrutan burial hymns in her natives tongue before covering him up with the Shilian soil.

" Don't worry Ahsoka. We will stop the Separatists. His death won't be for nothing." Anakin placed an arm around her as they walked back to the ship.

Kix, Jesse, Fives sat huddled around the fire chatting. Ahsoka and Anakin sat down with them listening to Five finish his story.

" That never happened!" Jesse punched Fives lightly on the arm.

" It did to!" Fives protested, standing by his story.

Jesse raised a suspicious eyebrow at his brother. " Well if it did then why haven't I heard about it until now?" 

" Because it isn't true." Kix chimed in.

Anakin chuckled at his men's bickering.

Fives glared at his vods and looked at his general.

" Sir, you remember that don't you?" Anakin threw his hands up. 

" Sorry Fives, but I don't...I mean yeah, I do. On that mission to... that planet." He decided to let the scene play out.

Ahsoka glanced around the circle finding that Rex wasn't there. She started to panic, but was relieved when she saw him laying on the ground with his head propped up on a log few feet away from the site.

She smiled at the master arguing playfully with the clones. They didn't even notice her get up and leave.

Rex gazed up at the stars through the trees. The night sky was painted with different shades of blue going from lightest to darkest. Small white specks were scattered all over, twinkling every so often.

" Company?" a voice asked from behind.

Rex sat up straighter acknowledging the commander.

" Of course." he grinned moving over so Ahsoka could sit next to him. 

Ahsoka sat down. They were quiet for a few moments.

" How's the shoulder?" she asked him, still feeling guilty for his injury.

" Iv'e had worse. Kix just placed a bacta over it so it wasn't that bad." Rex assured her.

" Rex?" 

" Yes lil'un?" 

" When the war is over, what do you want to do?"

Rex thought about his answer for a minute. He remembered Cut asked him the same question about a year ago.

" I'd probably stay in the GAR." he replied.

Ahsoka was shocked by his answer. After the war, there wouldn't be the need for more clones. They would most likely be given a choice to stay or leave. She would have to stay no matter what since she was a Jedi and they would have to maintain the peace. Rex on the other hand could start a new life.

"  But, you could have a normal life. You could live in a real house. Haven't you ever thought about having a family of your own?" Ahsoka pointed out.

This time Rex didn't hesitate. " My family is the GAR. My brothers, General Skywalker and you lil'un. I wouldn't want it any other way."

It went silent again, although it wasn't awkward. It was nice to just be in each others presence. The trees swayed back and forth as the breeze gently sang a tranquil tune. 

The two soldiers watched as the stars winked at them until they were both sound asleep. 

Sorry for the slow updates. School's been rough.  Anyways, hope y'all enjoy this chapter! Mandalorian Friday tomorrow! Yayayayayaya i'm so excited 😆

Love every one of you💞

-Chopper457🧡💙🤍