Chapter 2 - Kaijo

With a yawn, I stretch my arms over my head and thrust out my chest into the movement, unintentionally drawing attention to myself from a couple of the male students at Kaijo Private High School. I simply roll my eyes and stuff a hand into my letterman jacket pocket, a piece of Seirin spirit wear I acquired over the past week as a gift from the boys. After attending their practices over the past couple of days, I've really started getting to know them better, both on and off the court.

Hyuga is kind and accepted me right away and Izuki is always trying to make me laugh. Mitobe's mute, but a gentle giant, nonetheless. Koganei is always trying to hit on me, but in a joking manner, I can tell; I've nicknamed him Koga. Tsuchida's always smiling and is never afraid to approach me with new ideas. Furihata's still a bit nervous around me, but not nearly as much as he was when I first met him. Kawahara is a talker, more than anything; I can rely on him to keep the team morale going. Fukuda's a bit tense at times, but happy to be there overall. Kagami is as stubborn as ever, but he doesn't seem to mind my presence as much anymore. He hasn't challenged me to a one-on-one since last week, his pride not allowing him to ask me for any tips on getting better. Kuroko and I... we've bonded over vanilla shakes.

I am very thankful to them for being so understanding of my initial awkward phase. I truly had no idea what I was doing and still really don't. However, I can admit I've come a lot further than the point I was before I arrived in Japan. I'm beginning to feel more like a teenager; one who isn't bound by expectation and societal pressure. It's a nice feeling to experience.

In addition to that, I've discovered that making friends is incredible. Befriending the team was nowhere near easy and definitely still in progress, but I've found the process fun. Talking to them, spending time with them, even going out with them to local spots after practice. I never knew what I was missing out on by avoiding friendships my entire life. Bonding with people is addicting, to say the least. And while I'm a tiny bit nervous to approach people and remain incredibly inexperienced, I am finding myself more determined to try. I definitely feel better about myself when someone approaches me after I express myself in some shape or form. And these boys seem to have taken a liking to me for my personality. Thank god. It would've been incredibly embarrassing and awkward if they hadn't.

Today is the day I've been preparing them all for. Although it's just a scrimmage, this will be the first match that this team plays as a unit; together. I need to ensure that their first game helps them learn to operate as a team. Therefore, the night before, I spent every waking hour coming up with any last minute strategies to use for today. I didn't come up with anything worth mentioning, but at least I can rest easy knowing that I didn't look anything over that may have been critical to the victory. Still, even though I'm confident, it doesn't make up for my constant yawning and the dark circles under my eyes.

"Kagami-kun, the look in your eyes is worse than usual."

At the sound of Kuroko's remark, I peek over my shoulder at the tall ace. Indeed, his eyes are bloodshot and his face screams his fatigue.

"Shut up," he hisses, looking away. "I got a little too excited last night..."

"What are you, a kid going on a field trip?" Kuroko scoffs.

This seems to set the ace off. "What did you just say!?"

As I continue walking, I furrow my brow and smile as they continue to argue, most of it one sided. He was up all last night as well, it seems, but for completely different reasons. Kagami is a very hyperactive player, I've learned; he was most likely too excited to fall asleep last night, knowing that he'd be facing a member of the Generation of Miracles today. Kise Ryouta. Riko tells me that Kagami got himself into a one-on-one with said Miracle just days before I had arrived and had been completely crushed. It pleases me that Kagami responds to defeat with an outlook of determination rather than failure. He's always striving to be better. I can admire that.