Chapter 23 - Similarities

As the set against Fukurodani begins, Asahi is first up to serve. He bounces the ball at his feet several times, taking a deep breath in preparation. Tossing the ball up high into the air, he runs forward and leaps at the line, swinging and hitting it on its descent with a grunt. It goes flying over the net, where the Fukurodani libero has to dive in order to keep it in play. The pass is a bit off, forcing Akaashi to take a few steps out of standard setting position in order to toss it.

"Over here, Akaashi!" Bokuto calls for the ball, running up the left side.

Tsukishima moves to stand beside Kageyama, not facing him as he advises, "Tighten up for the straight. If there's even the slightest gasp, he'll get the ball through."

Having no time to question it, Kageyama does as told and steps slightly to the right to block any path for a straight. Bokuto's eyes widen when his spike is blocked by Kageyama; unfortunately for Karasuno, the deflection flies out of bounds off of the setter's touch, giving the point to Fukurodani. As the opposing team celebrates their first point of the set, Bokuto smirks cruelly at the two first years who blocked his spike.

"You guys keep getting better and better everyday," he states with a smiling slur. "It's getting really fucking annoying."

A bit longer into the set - scored 5-6 in Fukurodani's favor - another rally is in motion. As Tanaka spikes the ball over the net, it's just barely received, even if the pass is way off from Akaashi's position. Therefore, the setter has to accommodate for the botched ball, running back and jumping in order to reach the ball in time. He then sends a quick toss behind his head to one of the spikers, the set precise; Fukurodani scores the point.

"A quick from there!?" Takeda gasps, astonished. "Amazing..."

"Yeah, their setter is impressive," Ukai agrees with a nod.

Said setter returns to his position as the next player gears up to serve. As soon as he reaches the net, Akaashi's eyes glide over to the side of the court, scanning the Karasuno bench for one person in particular. And when [Name] feels his emotionless and calculating stare on her, she turns to look back at him. When their eyes meet, Akaashi keeps contact with her gaze for a few seconds before looking away; it was as if he was ensuring that [Name] was watching when he made the play. As far as Akaashi's concerned, she was. And instead of continuing to focus on the setter, [Name]'s eyes glide to the person who moves to stand beside him; she smirks. Bokuto's back up front in the formation.

Nishinoya cleanly receives the opponent's serve, his pass headed straight for Kageyama, who tosses the ball to Tsukishima in the middle. The blond's spike is picked up by one of Fukurodani's wing spikers, who sends it straight back to Akaashi.

"Nice, Saru!" Bokuto grins, waving an arm over his head. "Give me the last one!"

"Right now, our front row is in the rotation where the wall is at its strongest," Ukai states from the bench, arms folded. "If anyone can stop the ball, it's them."

[Name]'s eyes gleam gold as she looks over the three jumping for the block; the three tallest players on the team. Asahi, Kageyama, and Tsukishima. They all jump, arms outstretched to block Bokuto's attack. They weren't expecting him to side swipe the ball with so much power, however, hitting it nearly parallel on their side of the net in order to score the point. [Name] grins, brows furrowed. "What an insane cut shot..."

"All right!" Bokuto hypes himself up before grinning stupidly towards his setter. "Hey, did you see that, Akaashi? Did you see my awesome cut shot just now?"

With a huff, Akaashi decides to entertain his captain, glancing at him boredly. "I did. Amazing."

Despite the dryness of his tone, Bokuto's ego swells from the compliment, feint modesty as he waves. "Ah, well, it was mostly just luck!-..."