Chapter 28 - Absurdity

tw: mentions of underage drinking, underage smoking

"You have no idea how much this means to me, Keishin-kun."

"Yeah, yeah, don't worry about it," he grunts, blowing a thin stream of smoke through his chapped lips.

Ukai and I stand outside of the gym, leaning against the wall as we watch the sunset. I had caught sight of him as Riko and I were storing the drinks Kagami had bought back in the kitchen, on his way outside for a quick cigarette. The ocean laps coyly at the shore not all too far away, allowing for a gentle set of scenery as we speak, helping to mask our quiet conversation.

"As promised, I'll deliver everything to you before you depart tomorrow morning," I add softly, my arms folded as I look out over the horizon, appreciating the bright oranges and pinks casting their hue onto the bellies of wispy clouds. "Romeo just informed me a second ago that he's obtained everything on my list, including your request."

He glances at me, cigarette dangling from his lips as he speaks. "You really didn't have to, kiddo. The sole reason I agreed to bring those brats along to the beach was so that they could spend some time with you before you head back to Seirin for awhile."

I snort. "I'm surprised you thought a month wasn't too much time around me."

He rests a large hand on my shoulder, squeezing it gently. "Spend time with you as your friend, not your trainees."

Eyes wide, I feel my heart flutter, only then just realizing what he even meant in the first place. I can't say I'm surprised with myself for being so dense, but it is oddly embarrassing to admit to myself that I'd completely failed to acknowledge that the time I spent with Karasuno and the rest of the teams for the past month was no more than that as a temporary manager and trainer. Sure, I'm close with them all and converse with them as I see fit, but...

Amused by how starstruck I am, Ukai chuckles once more, hand remaining on my shoulder as he turns to look back out over the beach. "I'm not that old, you know. I know what it's like to be a teenager. I snuck around and broke the rules a lot. And because of that, I honestly feel like it's safer that I be aware of what you lot are doing rather than not know and find out one of you have gotten in over your head after it's too late."

I can't help but smile, feeling a fuzzy warmth spread through my limbs; it's only then that I realize how much I missed Keishin while I was back in America with my mother and my brother. Other than my father, he was the one "family member" that I held in such a highly parental aspect in my life (despite not even being related to me by blood). He's like the chill uncle I never got to spend enough time with until past my childhood.

My brother and I really could've used someone like him after our dad died.

My eyes soften as Ukai glances down at me, confused as to why I'm staring. I speak up before I can make him too uncomfortable. "Thank you, Keishin-kun. I couldn't possibly ask for anything more respectable from you. I owe you one."

He clicks his tongue, ruffling up my hair. "The only thing you owe me is a blunt rotation with the weed you're about to gift me. Once both your team and mine have gone on and experienced greatness. Promise me."

With a giggle, I hook my pinkie with his, pulling at it gingerly. "I would be honored."

Allowing a peaceful silence to grow between us once more, Ukai crosses his arms and leans farther back against the brick wall of the gym behind us. I lean against my shoulder, body shifted to face his but my head turned to look out over the rolling waves beyond, just as he is. We remain like this a moment, enjoying the salty breeze and the squawking of seagulls far off in the distance.