Chapter 9 - Extraordinary

One day at practice, [Name] shows up just a couple minutes late to find everyone on the team huddled around Riko on the opposite side of the gym. Curious as to what they could be talking about without her acknowledgemnt, she sets her school bag down and casually joins them. As soon as the Coach lays eyes on the manager, she snatches her wrist and drags her over to her side.

"Thank goodness you're here, [Name]-chan," she says, holding a stack of papers in her hands. "We're in trouble."

"How so?" the girl arches a brow before looking out over the team of boys, who seem just as clueless.

Riko clears her throat. "As you all know, midterms are coming up. And while our school's midterms have no effect on whether or not a student can continue participating in a club or not, there is still a repercussion for flunking in any subject. If you fail a section of the exam, you will be required to attend a supplementary class for one whole weekend. The same weekend that the championship match for our sector is scheduled to be."

Now [Name] understands why Riko holds that stack of papers grimly, and why a good portion of the boys before her begin to sweat a little bit nervously. "Ah, so no one can fail a subject. That shouldn't be too difficult."

"I agree, but just in case, I collected everyone's previous exam scores from last year's finals to see where each of us are in each subject," Riko holds up the papers. "Your old high school in America even sent me a copy of yours, [Name]-chan. But I haven't had a chance to look through them yet, so I decided we could just do it at practice."

And so the team glances over each player's exam scores. All of the second years appear to be in good shape for the exam, even if their grades are a bit on the average side for some of them. At least they're consistent and most likely won't fail a subject. The same for the first years; Kuroko's grades represent him well, consistently average. Then comes Kagami's old exam scores, and Riko begins to sweat profusely.

"Kagami-kun...." she gains the redhead's attention lowly. "HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SO BAD AT MATH AND HISTORY!?"

[Name] and Hyuga both peer over her shoulder, cringing at the very low scores on either subject from the previous year. Kagami folds his arms, arching a brow. "So what? I'm not good at school stuff, just basketball. Why do you think I play it?"

"IDIOT!" Riko wacks him over the head with the thick stack of papers. "YOU DO REALIZE YOU WON'T BE PLAYING AT ALL IF YOU FAIL EITHER ONE OF THESE MIDTERMS!?"

Kagami's brow twitches. "Yeah, I guess I should probably do something about that..."

While Riko continues to beat on the unacademic ace, Izuki gasps as he picks up the stacks of papers the coach had abandoned, glancing over the only one left. "[N-Nickname]-chan... These are your exam grades from America...?"

Interest peaked by those words, a couple other people, including Riko, move to see what Izuki is left so speechless about, and Riko gasps, yanking the paper from his hand and waving it in the manager's face. "HOW THE HELL DID YOU SCORE PERFECTLY IN EVERY SUBJECT!?"

Feeling attacked, almost, and embarrassed by all the attention, [Name] takes a couple steps back to distance herself. "I-It's nothing, really. My mother just had very high standards for my grades and made me study in the majority of my free time. Besides, my scores will probably be different over here on Japan's midterms. I struggle more with Japanese than I do with English!"

"You're better at Japanese than Kagami-kun is, and he is Japanese," Kuroko states dryly, earning a shove from the easily-angered redhead.

"Wait a minute..." Riko suddenly beams. "You, Kagami-kun, and Kuroko-kun are all in the same homeroom, right, [Name]-chan?"