Chapter 12 - Touou

After coming back to Seirin after running off with volleyball boys for an entire week, I thankfully received minimal scolding.

"I've been thinking..." the team turns to look at Koganei as he holds up his copy of the tournament roster. "We've beat two teams with miracles on them already, haven't we? Do you think we could make it all the way this year!?"

Before he can get too excited, Izuki smacks Koga over the head. "Oi, don't jinx it, idiot!"

"Don't just go saying stuff like that!" Hyuga adds, clutching his copy tightly.

But Koganei only continues to spark the flame. "Even if we lose to Aomine and Momoi-..."

This time, I'm the one to shut him up by kicking him over from behind, sighing as he faceplants the gym floors. Riko sighs as I look at her. "Aomine and Momoi go to Touou Academy..."

"Wait, WHAT!?" the entire team, save Riko, Kuroko, and myself exclaim in unison.

"I thought all the Generation of Miracles went to well-known schools!" Koga adds hysterically.

"No offense, but Tetsu-chan didn't. What's going to stop Aomine?" I answer, folding my arms and swinging my weight to one side. "While it's true that Touou's history isn't all that impressive, they've been putting a lot of time and improvement into their scouting efforts, recently. According to my digging, they've found some success in recruiting promising athletes from all over the country. In the past few years, their team has shown a rapid gain in power. After doing some research on their team, I can confidently say that their starting lineup this year is comparable to Shutoku's in skill, if not better."

"I don't believe it..." Fukuda breathes, looking down at the paper in his hand.

"Oi!" I turn all of a sudden when Riko jumps from her position, shoving Koga out of the way and tossing her clipboard at him as she marches forward, her eyes locked on the legs of her target. I silently pray to a god that I don't believe in for his safety after seeing the look on her face. "Kagami-kun. Have you been playing ball?"

Said redhead's eyes widen. "N-No."

"You have noticeably regressed," she then glances at me coldly, in which I shrink back and duck behind Mitobe for safety. She decides to ignore me for now and focuses on Kagami instead, grabbing him by the hair and forcing him to kneel on the ground before her. "YOU IDIOT!"

"AH! SORRY! SORRY!" he begs for forgiveness as Riko rips him a new one.

"HOW MANY TIMES DID I TELL YOU!? NO BASKETBALL UNTIL YOU'VE RECOVERED! ARE YOUR EARS FUNCTIONAL OR ARE THEY JUST FOR SHOW!?"

"Now, now, Coach," Hyuga sighs, gently pulling the fuming second year off of Kagami with a hand on her shoulder. "So, who are we going to be playing first?"

Already fired up, she turns to him and yells, "Against Touou Academy!"

And just like that, the entire team erupts into absolute silence, the sound of the breeze blowing through the grass outside audible to my ears. None of them could believe it, I imagine. I hardly can.

Do I possibly have enough time to whip this team into shape? Good enough against a challenger like Aomine?

After practice is over, Kuroko, Kagami, and I set out for our normal hangout. Maji Burger is a place that all three of us ran into each other when I had first joined the team. We've bonded there, and continue to visit it with one another after the occasional practice. As we walk along the sidewalks dressed in our school uniforms, streetlamps on as the sun just barely begins to set, Kagami breaks our comfortable silence.