Chapter 7 - Tension

Seirin returns to the locker room in silence at half time. The tension among all the players lingers ominously, everyone painfully aware of the gap in score between them and their opponent. The silence continues as they sit down; so silent, [Name] found herself quite uncomfortable to even be present in the situation. Fidgeting anxiously, she bites her lip as a playful idea comes into mind, her eyes narrowing. As she had been leaning against the wall for the past couple of minutes, everyone notices when she moves from her lax position. She takes a step towards the two benches they all share, the one on the right nearest to her. Izuki looks up as she stands beside where he sits, right on the edge, hands on her hips and brows furrowed.

Much to his and the rest of the team's surprise, she leans over and pecks him on the cheek.

'.................'

"[NAME]-CHAN, WHAT THE FUCK!?" Koga nearly rips his hair out, throwing his water bottle to the side and pouncing on her, knocking her into the wall as he grips the fabric of her uniform jacket with a pout. "I WANT ONE, TOO!"

She smirks, shaking her head in a teasing manner. "Only one for now, seeing as Izu-chan played so well last game. The rest of you will get one if you just got over yourselves and get hype for the second half. I know we can win!"

Although some of them were slightly weirded out by her sudden action --Izuki having fainted--, at least she successfully cut through the tension in the air. Koga, still whining, goes back to his spot and sits down as Mitobe attempts to wake Izuki up by fanning him off. [Name] makes her way to the opposite bench when Kuroko beckons her over.

He looks up at her with his big blue eyes. "[Nickname]-chan? You happened to have been recording the first half, right?"

"Oh, yes!" she hastily pulls out her phone and a pair of AirPods.

"May I join you in reviewing it, please?" he asks politely.

When she nods, he scoots over and makes some room for her, though it's quite finite. She manages to squeeze in beside him on the bench, handing him an AirPod and keeping the other for herself to use. Izuki's finally woke up, most likely having forgotten what had just happened to him moments ago. He glances over at Kuroko and [Name] sitting shoulder to shoulder, positioned very close together in order to watch the same video on her phone.

"What're you two doing?" he asks groggily, eyes narrowing at their vicinity.

Kuroko glances up at him for a millisecond before returning to the phone [Name] holds before him. "Watching the film [Name]-chan took the first half."

"Well, do you have a plan?" Hyuga asks softly.

"I don't know," Kuroko states plainly.

Izuki deadpans. "You don't know?"

"I have thought about winning, but I have never wondered whether I can win or not," Kuroko simply states. He then peers up at him. "Even if we lose by one hundred points, there's still a very slim chance that a meteor will strike the other team's bench in the last second."

[Name] snorts. "In other words, let's hope Midorima accidentally walks off a cliff."

"That isn't likely, [Nickname]-chan. There are no cliffs nearby here," Kuroko corrects her, not detecting her sarcasm, causing everyone in the locker room to sweat drop.

"Well, compared to that, a second half comeback seems way more realistic!" Koganei admits, stretching his arms behind his head.

Hyuga can't help but shake his head in amusement, standing up from his bench. "If that's the case, let's get back out there and show them how we at Seirin fight!"