Chapter 20 - Pragmatic

"G-Guys! Don't fight! This can all be resolved peacefully if you just-..."

As [Name] gets within arm's range, Kageyama's hand slips from Hinata's face and accidentally slams into her temple, sending her crippling to the floor, knocked out cold. Neither of the boys even notice, however, locked in the heat of the moment as they fight one another. Fortunately, the ruckus is loud enough for Yachi to overhear as she's passing by the gym, planning on heading to the bus stop to get home. She peeks inside, and once she realizes the gravity of the situation, she panics and runs to get help. Barely a moment later, she runs back with Tanaka, who sprints into the gym to find the two first years aggressively throwing punches at one another and shoving each other to the ground, almost stepping on an unconscious [Name] nearby.

Fuming, he runs over to the two and punches either one of them across the jaw. "Both of you cut this shit out! What the hell happened here!?"

As either of them rub their aching jaws, they just then notice [Name] on the floor, her eyes shut and nose bleeding. Eyes wide, they blink, and Kageyama lifts his hand, gazing at the small dots of blood that stain his fingers. Realizing what he'd done, he begins to stammer. "I-I didn't mean-... If Hinata hadn't-..."

"Don't blame this on me!" he cries out angrily, diving onto him and wrestling him to the ground. "If you'd just listen to me, then this would never have happened in the first place! It's your fault!"

"If you had never tried to fight me, she would never have tried to get involved!" Kageyama spits, kicking the boy off of him. "You dumbass-..."

Before they can begin to fight anymore, Tanaka grabs them both by each of their shirts, barking loudly at them to establish dominance. "Both of you stop fighting now! Hinata, you walk Yachi-san home, seeing as it's late. Kageyama, you can stay and have a word with me about what's going on here and explain to me why [Name]-san is on the floor. Go!"

Hinata and Yachi leave without another word while Kageyama rushes over to kneel beside [Name], sighing in relief when he sees her chest rise and fall consistently. "She's okay..."

"She'd better be!" Tanaka roars, kicking the ravenette face first into the floorboards beside her. "The hell happened here!?"

Pushing himself back up, Kageyama scoffs, folding his arms. "That jackass and I got into a disagreement, and one thing led to another. [Name] was probably trying to break it up, but I guess we didn't notice how close she got and she ended up getting caught in the crossfire. Neither of us even heard her. I swear that I had no idea I even hit her. I-I'm sorry..."

"I don't CARE if you're sorry, dipshit! The Hell with that! You bruised our precious [Name]-san's delicate skin! Run down to the corner store and get Coach so that we can get her immediate medical attention!" Tanaka orders, pointing to the doors. "NOW!"

Kageyama doesn't waste another second, bolting down the hill towards the Sakonoshita Store to get help. As soon as he's gone, Tanaka sighs, crouching beside [Name] and brushing some of her [H/L] hair out of her face, praying she didn't receive a concussion from the blow that the setter gave to her head. Even as she lays unconscious on the floor, her beauty remains other worldly; her [S/C] complexion seems to glow ethereally in the moonlight that's sifting into the gym through the door and windows. Tanaka can barely pry his eyes away from her peaceful expression. Once he finally does, he fetches a towel to start cleaning the blood from her nose with, dabbing very gingerly above her lip.

About five minutes later, Kageyama returns with Ukai, both panting once they reach the gym. Grumbling under his breath, the blond angrily orders Kageyama to clean up the gym and go home and for Tanaka to do the same as he carefully scoops the girl up from the floor, bridal style as he jogs her back to his shop down the hill. He lays her down in the back room on a bed with a cool cloth over her head, cleaning the remainder of the blood from her upper lip as he inspects the bruise forming around her right eye.