Chapter 27 - Pink Whitney

tw: mentions of underage drinking, underage smoking

Early the next morning, Kagami stands out in the hallway in his sleep clothes, scratching the back of his head as he lazily brushes his teeth. He scowls at his own reflection in the mirror, his right arm already aching due to the simple action of relieving the itch on his scalp. The training he had gone through on the first day of this camp alone has already taken its toll on his body.

With a scoff, he spits out his toothpaste and rinses it out in the sink, taking a swallow of tap water to rinse out his mouth with. Swishing the cool liquid back and forth, he leans over and spits it back into the sink once he's satisfied.

He wasn't exactly expecting Kuroko to do the same thing simultaneously beside him.

Kagami jumps back in shock, calming his nerves as he yells. "Do you do that on purpose, bastard!?"
"Good morning," is Kuroko's simple response, toothbrush in hand.

"Jesus Christ, and your hair!" Kagami points out the bluette's wild bedhead, tufts of it sticking out in random directions, like the bristles of a dry paint brush. "I didn't even see you in your futon when I woke up this morning."

"I woke up early," the lie comes easily to Kuroko as he pats at his hair self consciously. "And you were already asleep by the time I returned from my bath."

Before Kagami is able to retort any further on the matter, he's cut off by and oddly familiar voice. "This place is a dump. Are we really staying here? Geez, I feel like I might run across a fucking ghost in the showers or something..."

"Shut up, nandayo, Takao."

Kagami and Kuroko watch in silent shock as Takao and Midorima of Shutoku so casually stroll by them and the sinks, wide-eyed and speechless. The two players in orange double take, as well, also coming to the stunning realization of the situation at hand, facing the familiar duo beside them.

Kuroko gets over his shock quickly. "Good morning. It's nice to see you again."

Meanwhile, the other three don't appear to be adjusting as quickly. Midorima, specifically, points out Kagami with disdain. "What the hell are you doing here!?"

"I could ask you the same thing!" Kagami snaps back, smacking the shooter's taped fingers out of his face.

"Shutoku has a long standing tradition of coming here during the summer," Takao explains after gathering his own composure, a hand on his hip.

"And here you are, enjoying your vacation like dwindling fools!" Midorima barks distastefully. "What's with the tan, moron!? Enjoying yourself?"

"We're not on vacation!" Kagami retorts hastily.

Eyes wide, Midorima isn't even given the chance to question the redhead, for a flurry of [H/C] hair zips between him and Takao, ducking behind Kagami in the blink of an eye. They all watch with bated breaths as [Name] peaks out from behind the large ace, fear in her eyes as she clutches his forearm. Her shoulders heave, apparently short of breath for some unknown reason.

"[Name]? What the fuck are-..."

"Taiga, you've gotta help me," she pants, hugging his side with a horrid expression, pink travel toothbrush in her grasp. "She's gonna kill me..."

"What are you going on about?"

Just as [Name]'s about to explain, she shrieks and points down the hall with a shaky hand. And there, rounding the corner, Riko carries a large cooking knife covered in a sticky red substance, which also splotches the front of her apron and her face. "Oi. Where's [Name]-chan? I need her help in the kitchen. I made a complete mess of the jam."