Chapter 22 - Wordsmith

Throughout the day, [Name] continues to notice improvement throughout the entire team. Everyone's beginning to make less mistakes, and the point gaps during matches are becoming thinner and thinner each time they play. Yet, they still haven't managed to win a single set. But that's no matter; they're here to grow over everything else, and winning isn't necessary to do that. [Name] can only continue to marvel at everyone's daily progress.

Though, there are two who continue to struggle.

She sighs, shaking her head and chuckling as Kageyama gives a toss to Hinata that stops much too short, leaving the decoy to miss it completely. They quickly apologize to the team for the miscalculation and return to their positions, not speaking a word to the other. Other than during personal training at night, the two still haven't talked to one another. Even then, most of the time they just speak to [Name] rather than to each other. Still, she smiles at the two, knowing that it's best if they enjoy this brief break from one another.

As a spike goes flying out of bounds, [Name]'s instincts kick in and her hand flies out in front of Yachi's face, who'd been standing beside her keeping score. The blonde manager gasps in surprise at the sound of a volleyball slapping against [Name]'s palm. She doesn't even realize she's holding her breath until the ball falls down to the floor and bounces a couple times loudly before [Name] crouches down to pick it up.

"Sorry!" a couple players call out as [Name] tosses the ball back to the next server.

"No worries!" she chirps back to no one in particular, a soft smile gracing her lips.

While this isn't seen as a big deal to the majority of the people inside of the gym, the fact that [Name] was able to stop that high paced spike dead in its tracks without even hesitating is monumental to a couple others. After all, this is the first time that many of them are seeing [Name] in any action at all; most of them don't even know who she is, for that matter.

Two of those people being Bokuto and Akaashi. Neither of the two Fukurodani players even know her name, yet, both staring at her with wide eyes, impressed by her instinct. To them, all she had been this whole trip is a helpful manager; both are completely clueless to her true nature.

Kenma and Kuroo, however, both know who she truly is, and continue to gawk at her in amazement. Hinata's told Kenma all about how amazing [Name] is, but he's never seen it for himself in order to believe. As of now, however, he's inclined to believe everything Hinata's ever told him about the girl. And Kuroo is also stunned, thinking back to Daichi's words about [Name]'s skill in volleyball; he grins in excitement as he stares at her.

Coach Nekomota's eyes narrow at the girl as he, too, scrutinizes her. He knows who she is; he's aware of the bond between the Ukai family and [Last Name] Seraphina. He still can't help but wonder why her daughter is in Japan, however. But he won't question it; it isn't his place. Nevertheless, he wishes to see the girl in a bit more action. Nekomota has seen Seraphina play, but never got the chance to witness [Name] on the court.

Everyone's snapped out of it, however, when Hinata has to cover for the toss he hadn't been expecting, barely scoring the point. He turns and glares at his setter. "Oi! You held back, didn't you!?"

"Huh? Held back?" Kageyama tilts his head, stare turning deadly in an instant as he grabs Hinata by his collar. "Me? With volleyball? Say that again."

"Excuse me!" the voice who calls out to the ref is unexpected, everyone turning to see [Name] smiling innocently, her sweet persona heartwarming to witness. "Can we get a timeout please?"

Although it's unconventional for anyone to call for a timeout but the coach, it's allowed seeing as it's a practice match; also, Ukai agreed with the call in the first place. Kageyama and Hinata both gulp as [Name]'s gaze flickers over to them both. Although her smile is sweet, it's all a facade for the fiery aura dancing around her tauntingly cold eyes; the fading black bruise painting her right socket doesn't make her look any less scary, either. Kageyama immediately let's Hinata go; and in that moment, he realizes something he's never felt before. He just gave into fear.