Chapter 16 - Limits

After two weeks have passed, Kagami's legs have healed and he returns for his first day back at practice. Of course everyone is glad to see him when he shows up, though, Kagami seems rather indifferent. After a good grueling from Hyuga, who was irked that Kagami wasn't showing up to practice to at least be there despite being injured, another looming tall figure walks into the gym, a goofy grin planted on his face.

Kiyoshi Teppei stands dressed in his full uniform, hands on his hips. "Let's practice!"

As Riko deadpans at the male beside me, I snicker, covering my mouth to conceal my amusement. The rest of the team isn't as skillful in hiding their reactions. Koga also deadpans. "G-Good to see you, Kiyoshi-kun."

"Yeah," Izuki agrees between wheezes of laughter.

Hyuga's the loudest about his reaction, stalking over and shaking Kiyoshi by the collar. "Why the hell are you wearing your uniform, bastard?"

Kiyoshi merely shrugs. "I've been stuck in the hospital since last summer going through countless surgeries and therapy. You can't blame me for being excited to return to basketball, Hyuga-kun. Oh, are these the first years? Hello, everyone. My name's Kiyoshi Teppei, 193 centimeters, 81 kilos, and second year. My position is center. Nice to meet you all."

Riko smiles up at the very tall player. "Teppei, you're sure you're completely healed?"

He beams down at her height. "Completely."

And seeing as I am standing beside her, this is the moment he first notices me. He blinks, eyes wide as he tries to process who I am. Riko rolls her eyes at his cluelessness, introducing me. "This is [Last Name][Name]. She's our manager."

"Oh, another first year," Kiyoshi grins, holding his large hand out to me. "It's a pleasure to meet you, [Last Name]-san. Thank you for being a part of the team. The more the merrier, right?"

"I couldn't agree more," I chirp, smiling sweetly as I allow him to engulf my tiny hand in his giant palm and shake it. "Feel free to call me [Name], by the way. It's an honor to finally be meeting you, Kiyoshi-senpai."

Hyuga, still irritated to the max, wacks Kiyoshi over the head. "Go change into some normal clothes, you idiot!"

Kiyoshi complies to Hyuga's order, coming back into the gym while the team has just completed warming up, changed into a pink t-shirt and white shorts instead of the full uniform. Everyone turns towards him as he puts his hands on his hips, obviously having come up with something to say while in the lockers. "I just wanted to say I'm putting my future career on the line to play this year, so of course I'm very serious about playing and winning. My goal is, of course-... Where is it?"

Everyone deadpans at the question, Izuki nearly floored. "Our sights are on the Winter Cup, right now..."

Kiyoshi nods. "And where is that this year?"

"Tokyo!" Hyuga exclaims as I begin chortling into my hand, very amused by our new player. "Where it's held everyyear!"

Kawohara deadpans. "This is the guy who created the Seirin Basketball team?"

He shrugs. "Nevertheless, where it is doesn't really matter. If you're going to climb a mountain, you've got to aim for the top; but let's not forget to enjoy the scenery along the way."

I grin goofily, folding my arms and nodding. "I like this guy."

Hyuga groans, adjusting the glasses on the bridge of his nose. "Just give it a week, [Name]-san, and you won't be saying stupid shit like that in my presence anymore."