Chapter 17 - Savior

Meanwhile, at Karasuno, after the boys get back from a run, they find Ukai and Takeda waiting for them back in the gym. The teacher sits all the boys down to prepare them for a talk. He clears his throat, his expression somewhat grim. "Ahem. About that trip to Tokyo... For now, it's scheduled to take place next month. For a trip like this, we'll be needing your parents' permission. I'll pass out the paperwork later. The school has given consent as well. However, as you are aware, you have final exams starting the first week of next month."

Ukai grimaces at the statement, four particular boys sitting within the group of volleyball dorks suddenly drained of all hope. Takeda arches a brow. "At least, I assume you all remembered final exams, r-right...?"

Simultaneously, Hinata, Kageyama, Tanaka, and Nishinoya all avert their gaze, for Takeda is singling them out, at this point. "So, I think you know what I'm getting at. If you fail any subjects of the exams, supplementary classes will be held the weekend we leave, which means you will have to stay here and miss the away games."

Tanaka and Nishinoya are the first to panic, jumping up and running for the exit. Daichi deadpans. "Oi! There's nowhere for you two to run! Ennoshita, grab them!"

The second year does as told, blocking them from the exit. "Gotcha!"

Meanwhile, Hinata's fallen into a sort of trance, unresponsive to his environment. "Fail... Fail... What counts as a failing grade!?"

Suga's dumbstruck. "That's your first question!?"

Yamaguchi yelps, pointing at the ravenette hunched over in the corner. "K-KAGEYAMA'S NOT BREATHING!"

Ennoshita drags the vigilantes back over, in which Tsukishima smirks mockingly at them. "You guys better not fail."

"Nope!" Ennoshita agrees, amused.

"M-Maybe if we beg the principal..." Hinata has resorted to bribery out of his desperation.

"How about you just try hard enough not to fail the exam?" Tsukishima suggests, quite obviously getting a kick out of the four's despair.

Takeda sighs, shaking his head. "Even if we get the vice principal's permission, if you have to take supplementary classes, they will be first priority."

Seeing as the teacher shattered his dreams in just one sentence, Hinata falls before Ukai, begging at his feet and clutching his jacket. "Coach!"

Eyes wide, Ukai struggles to find something to say. "Uh! W-Well, this isn't something you can expect to avoid as a student! I-It will teach you willpower! You just need to believe you can do it and you will!"

"Eh!? Isn't that too philosophical? Nevermind, this is fine," Hinata suddenly bows. "Please, teach me how to study!"

"...Hinata. I didn't really want to bring this up, but..." Hinata looks up at Ukai, eyes wide as his coach's silver earrings glint in the gym lighting. "Do I look like someone who got good grades in high school?"

Hit like a bus, Hinata faceplants the floorboards in defeat. Suga chuckles and walks over to him. "Hinata, I'm sure you're overreacting. Surely you aren't that worried about passing a couple of exams?"

His voice is muffled against the floor. "I've never scored a double-digit score on a single quiz before... Do you think I'll be okay...?"

Suga loses all hope at the seriousness in Hinata's tone. Meanwhile, Tanaka and Nishinoya stand beside one another, appearing to be praying to some higher deity. Suga turns his attention away from Hinata for a moment in order to yell at them. "Oi! Stop it with the bodhisattva faces, you two!"