Chapter 3 - Shinkyo

I sit in my usual desk in Japanese Literature, barely able to keep my eyes open during such a boring lecture. I lean my face into my palm and stare lazily at my computer screen, skimming through some of the notes I'd written down on a document. I can barely even comprehend them due to how tired I am, and the teacher's drawling voice isn't exactly helping, either.

Kagami seems to have the right idea. He sits to my left, his shoulders rising and falling in rhythm with his breath, his eyes closed as he leans into his fist. I can't help but envy his boldness, sometimes. I wouldn't dare sleep during class, but he doesn't seem to mind. His eyebrows twitch slightly. I wonder what he's dreaming about...

As the teacher walks down our row, I shake off a bit of drowsiness and make myself appear more alert, pretending to type down whatever he's been saying this whole time. Just as he's walking between Kagami's and my own desk, the nearly two meter ace surges upward and slams his hand down on the teacher's bald head, not completely aware of his own action. My eyes widen, and I suppress my laughter well as the teacher stops his lecture, glaring at Kagami from behind his specs.

The redhead blinks, confused as to what he's doing grabbing his teacher's head in the middle of class. "Huh...?"

"Don't you 'huh' me," the teacher grumbles, smacking his hand away with a couple papers. "How dare you sleep so shamelessly in my class? Come to the faculty office after school, Mr. Kagami."

Kagami's fully awake now, glowering in my direction due to my snickering. Unintimidated, I muffle my giggles with my hand as the teacher continues lecturing. Kagami shakes his head disapprovingly before peering over his shoulder. As I notice he's angered even further, I follow his gaze, finding Kuroko to be dozing off quietly in the seat behind him. I can't help but smile at their relationship. Kagami's probably mad that Kuroko got away with it while he got in trouble. It's not the bluette's fault he lacks such a presence.

"He also didn't smack the teacher in the head," I mumble teasingly, receiving a killer glare from the player to my left for accurately reading his mind. I smirk. "Calm down. I'll send you my notes later. Get some rest. I know you're both tired from yesterday."

"Shut up! I'm fine," he whispers harshly, leaning into his palm once more and closing his eyes.

As the lunch bell rolls around after third period, I stir both Kagami and Kuroko awake and tell them to gather their things. We go to meet up with the rest of the crew that we usually eat lunch with, only to find Riko and the second years awaiting us and the other first years. The basketball coach smiles. "Go buy some bread."

Kagami deadpans, yawning. "Bread?"

Riko nods. "On the twenty-seventh of every month, the Seirin High cafeteria sells a limited quantity of very special bread. The triple delicacy Iberian pork cutlet sandwich with caviar, foie gras, and truffles! It's 2800 yen!"

"We're asking you to get this bread so you can continue building momentum," Hyuga explains.

"But we're not the only ones with our eyes on it," Riko adds smugly. "You'll find that the lunchroom is always a bit busier than usual on the twenty-seventh."

With a new challenge at hand, Kagami grins, placing his hands on his hips. "Sounds easy as pie, ma'am."

"Here," my eyes widen as Izuki hands me a small envelope with a couple thousand yen inside. I take it. "The second years will pay for this. And even if you fail, we won't be needing any change."

"That's very thoughtful of you-..."

I don't get to announce my appreciation as Hyuga smiles maniacally. "Instead of paying us back if you fail, you'll be doing three times as much strength training and footwork."