Chapter 38 - Donkey Kong

"A-America!?"

I nod. "Seirin has a study abroad program with our sister school in Los Angeles. Taiga and I both lived there and have good connections there in the basketball world. It wasn't hard to put together."

Suddenly, I feel a hand tightly gripping the back of my head; a very familiar grip. "And she only told me about it last night. I swear, these first years, all coming and going as they please. It's as if you all are trying to get on my last nerve."

"I'm sorry, Riko-chan! Gah!" she squeezes harder. "Please, I'm sorr- I'm sorry!"

Hyuga shrugs as the coach continues to scalp me. "Well, if he's going to come back stronger, it's not like I can complain."

Finally, I manage to pry Riko's demon grip away from my precious locks. "Don't worry. If he goes to the person I told him to, he definitely will."

~ . . . . . ~

Kagami hops out of his cab, greeted immediately by suffocating, near 100° weather. Sweating before even getting to begin his training, he sighs deeply and wipes his brow, the bags over his shoulder feeling much heavier than before his flight. Even yet, he doesn't feel tired. If anything, after that long flight overseas, he's feeling restless. His fingers twitch, just itching to fit a basketball into his rough palms.

But perhaps he should get to that hotel room first. The taxi driver dropped him off about three blocks away, seeing as traffic by the courts was somewhat of a bother at this time of day. Readjusting the grip on his luggage, he sets off on his way down the sidewalk.

Mindlessly scrolling through his phone, he pulls up [Name]'s contact in his messages, one of her most recent messages being the photo of the guy she wants him to find while he's here. It's a simple picture. She's standing next to him, looking much younger than she does now. Perhaps the photo had been taken sometime when she was in middle school. Being much shorter than the man in question, he drapes an arm over her head jokingly.

The man seems as if he's very laid back. Tall, by the looks of it. Perhaps 6'5", maybe 6'6". He has his dreads tied back at the nape of his neck, the length of them brushing past his shoulders. And his smile is really wide, showing off every single one of his exceptionally white teeth. With the basketball tucked so snuggly into his hip in the picture, Kagami can't help but wonder who this man was to [Name].

"Hey, heads up!"

Eyes flickering away from the picture just in time, Kagami catches a stray basketball flying from out of one of the Venice courts. He palms it with wide eyes, soaking the scenery in. Despite having lived not too far away while in America, he never got to experience the Venice Beach Courts. Him and Himuro always played in the caged off outdoor courts about half an hour east. Neither of them could drive, so they saw no point in even experiencing the hassle.

A man from the nearest game jogs over to collect the ball from Kagami, his dreads tied back at the nape of his neck. "Hey, my bad, man. Let that one get away from me."

Blinking dumbly, Kagami averts his gaze back down to his phone, and then back up to the man, who sends him a questioning look as he holds his hands out for the ball.

"Uhh... we're in the middle of a game, so, if I could just-..."

"Do you guys need one more?"

The man blinks, dressed in black from head to toe. Checking over his shoulder, he assesses his guys before turning back to Kagami with a smile. "You know what? Yeah. Corey's girl has been nagging him to come home for awhile. You can take his spot."