mate

For Harry, other than Zayn, Niall was the one he confided in most days. They're the youngest and got along the best. He was simply his best friend, and he knew he needed someone to get him through this because on his own, it would be useless.

But he was afraid to call.

He didn't wanna seem like a baby. Crying because Zayn needed a break for a month for things to cool down. He felt like he should understand but, he just didn't. He didn't want to understand.

He spent the next hour sitting out on the balcony where he'd been. Alone and cold from the wind but he liked the pain when it hit his skin. He knew his body would be covered in red for awhile afterwards, wind burn was the worst, but he just had no motivation to do anything.

He felt like he lost the best part of who he was.

He had his phone on him, but he didn't wanna reach out. At least not yet. He knew Niall was the first person he'd call, but there were so many other people who'd notice he was different, and he just didn't wanna bring it to attention just yet.

The worst part was knowing he'd have to be around him, sing alongside him, and keep a smile the entire time in order to convince the media and fans that he was fine. The same Harry he was a month ago, a year ago, and even before that.

He didn't realize how fast time was passing until the sun set.

It was a breath taking view. The lights that fell so beautifully among the city, being illuminated even more by the orange, pink, and purple tones the sky mixed.

He wished he had someone to share it with. Z preferably but, he knew he wasn't feeling the same. So he needed to tuck those feelings away.

By the time he decided to get up and shower it was nearly night time. Probably 7. He decided to call Niall, desperate of someone to confide in. He had no other source.

Niall: "Harry mate? I haven't heard from you all day, what's good?"

Harry: "not much actually, I uh...Ni...i fucking need you right now."

Harry felt himself slipping again. His emotions running their course for what felt like the 50th time since the whole scene took place in the earlier part of the day.

Niall: "god haz, you sound miserable."

Harry: "I just, please...I need someone to talk to."

Niall: "I'll be up, give me 10 minutes"

Harry: "I'm gonna shower really quick"

Niall: "don't do anything stupid yeah? 10 minutes, I'll be there."

Harry didn't have a response, so instead he just hung up and warmed up the shower.

He remembered what him and Zayn had gotten up to the night before in the same shower and wanted to back out, but the salty and stiff feeling from his tears was overpowering any emotions he had at this point.

In a weird way, Zayn was in the same boat that Harry was. Perrie had left awhile ago, and he needed someone to talk to. Reluctantly of course, for he hated showing any source of emotion to anyone but Harry.

Liam: "hey Z, what's up?"

Zayn: "I really need you guys."

Liam: "Nialls just went off to meet up with Haz, you with him?"

Zayn: "god no...I fucking wish I was"

Liam: "what happened?"

Zayn: "just, I need you guys. You and Lou? Please."

Liam: "sure, we're on our way Zee."

Zayn cried. He had been since he got in the confines of his own room, too afraid to let loose in the hallway.

Back in Harry's room he'd just gotten out of the shower and threw some sweats on lazily. As soon as he finished drying up his hair, a knock came on the door.

He opened it and felt an overwhelming sense of relief knowing it was Niall.

Once he'd shut the door behind him, they hugged for what felt like ages. Neither wanted to let go. Harry was afraid that if he did he'd start crying, and Niall wanted him to feel like it was all gonna be okay.

Niall: "shhh, let it out haz...I won't judge, you fucking know that."

At that, he let it run. He'd just finished washing all of the tears from his wind burnt body, but he couldn't help letting a few more free. He was broken.

They rocked back and forth, Harry squeezing the life out of Niall until he was compelled to let go.

Niall: "let's go talk okay?"

Harry wiped his tears, breathing heavy as they sat on the bed facing each other.

Niall: "what the fuck happened?"

Harry: "he...he's gone Ni..."

Niall: "Liam and Louis are going up to see him right now, he's not gone I promise."

Harry: "but he's gone. I told him I didn't wanna see him anymore..."

Niall: "but why?"

Harry: "he wants to take a fucking break. I just feel like a second option, and he sweet talks me into believing I'm not, but I am! That's all I'll ever be to him!"

He fell forward, letting the white sheet catch his tears. He didn't even know he had that much water in him.

Niall had no way to console him, he had his mind made up. So he rubbed soothing circles on his back until his crying slowed to an almost stop.

Niall: "he's not going anywhere, he just called us last night and told us that he told you he loved you. Did he?"

Harry couldn't do anything but shake his head. The memories of last night made him dizzy.

Niall: "see? would he lie about that?"

Harry: "I dunno...maybe."

Niall: "why did he bring up the break anyway?"

Harry: "we were messing around and Perrie knocked on the door, to make a long story short, she found him hiding in the closet and neither of us had shirts on. She just starting throwing shit and blowing up at him...it just hurt to see him calm her down the way he does with me. I just feel like a second option Ni, and I'm better than that."