grudge

Upstairs, Louis and Liam walked in on a room filled with smoke.

Liam: "what in the fucking world?"

Zayn: "sorry...just a bit stressed"

Louis: "maybe you should crack the door Z, it's bad."

Zayn just nodded and did what they both recommended. The boys could tell he had been crying a lot. His cheeks and his under eyes were puffier than they'd ever seen.

Liam: "sit Zayn, talk to us"

Zayn: "there's just so much to say, and I dunno how to say it...fuck."

Louis: "I'm assuming something happened with haz yeah?"

Zayn: "mhm...told me to get out. Told me he never wanted to see me again"

Both of their eyes widened.

Liam: "why in the fucking world?"

Zayn: "it's m'fault"

Liam: "how so?"

Zayn: "I asked him for a break...and he doesn't want it."

Louis: "you've gotta be kidding, why now?!"

Zayn: "Perrie is figuring us out. She caught us shirtless, and she's threatening to bring it up to the media if I don't...fuck!"

Louis: "don't what?"

Zayn: "if I don't fucking propose next week..."

Liam: "holy shit, you're 20."

Zayn: "mate I fucking know, and it's the last thing I wanna do. Especially when haz is pissed like this."

Liam: "does he know?"

Zayn: "about the engagement?"

They both nodded in unison, wanting to know the same thing.

Zayn: "no...he was already screaming, I didn't wanna make it worse but I suppose I should've just laid it all out there yeah? I regret it now."

Louis: "do you actually want a break?"

Zayn: "my heart says no. I love him way too much, like it's scary. I'd do anything for the boy. But my mind says we need to slow down and let this all smooth out before we get into anything."

Liam: "I don't wanna take sides lad, because you guys are my brothers, but I could hear him talking to Niall on the phone and he was absolutely breaking."

Zayn: "he was when I left, and I wasn't gonna leave him like that...but he told me he didn't wanna see me anymore and I told him I'd never deny him of anything he asked. So I had to keep my promise and go."

Liam: "you're literally so wise it hurts"

Zayn let out a breathy chuckle but came back to seriousness when it all hit him again.

Zayn: "I just hope he's okay, that's all I care about you know?"

Louis: "Niall has him Z...he's in good hands"

Zayn: "but he's not in my hands. And it fucking sucks."

Liam: "then why the fuck did you bring up a break?!"

Zayn: "because I'm so damn conflicted! I dunno what to do! I want him all the fucking time it's scary, but I can't have that and be this successful at the same time!"

Louis: "says who Z? says who?"

Zayn: "fuck Lou, I dunno, society. The media. The fuckin world broh."

Louis: "he loves you"

Zayn: "didn't seem that way when he told me to get the fuck out."

Louis: "but you know he does Z...or else he wouldn't be this way."

Zayn: "I wanna love him. I wanna show him off, I wanna make love to him, but it's all so much to take it. I don't want labels. I don't wanna be called gay. I just don't feel right about it."

Liam: "about it, or him?"

Zayn: "about it Liam...I'll always feel right about him."

They both looked at him sympathetically. That melted their hearts in half.

Down the hall Harry was still in tears. He wanted Zayn to hold him, but he already told him to leave.

Niall: "you know he loves you yeah?"

Harry: "I hope so...right now it doesn't seem that way."

Niall: "it is that way haz, he tells me how fucking infatuated he is with you all the damn time. I wanna throw up."

Harry chuckled through his cracking voice, and he couldn't begin to express how thankful he was for Niall.

Harry: "do you mind staying in here tonight?"

Niall: "of course Harry"

Harry: "I sleep with clothes on unless it's Z...so don't worry"

Niall laughed

Niall: "I wasn't gonna"

Harry: "I just don't like sleeping in hotel rooms alone I guess."

Niall: "why don't you try and fall asleep Harry, it's been a long day and night yea?"

He nodded and rubbed his eyes.

Harry: "I wish I could tell him goodnight, but I don't wanna."

Niall: "Im gonna go grab some stuff from my room, I can stop by and tell him...if you want?"

Harry: "...please?"

Niall: "what do you want me to say?"

Harry: "just say, Harry says good night and he loves you."

Niall: "got it, word for word I promise. Be back in a flash."

Harry thanked him as he strolled out the door with that familiar pep in his step.

He stared at the ceiling for awhile, unable to fall asleep with his warm arms touching him, but eventually he dozed off, his crying eyes too heavy to hold open for much longer.

Niall had made it to Zayn's room and was let in instantly.

Zayn: "how is he?"

Niall: "straight to the point eh?"

Zayn: "sorry, I just worry."

Niall: "he's uh...not good but, he wanted me to tell you good night and he loves you."

Zayn: "why didn't he just text me?"

Niall: "it's Harry, he holds grudges and he's really upset."

Zayn: "well, tell him I love him too and I can't wait to see him tomorrow"

Niall: "will do, I'm staying with him tonight, he asked just so he doesn't have to be alone. If that's okay bro"

Zayn: "that's perfect, take care of him for me?"

Niall: "always Z"

Zayn: "and Ni?"

He turned around, his hand wrapped around the door handle.

Zayn: "he's a snorer, so beware"

Zayn smiled faintly, trying his best to make light of the situation for himself.

Niall: "oh fuck"

He left smiling and went back to Harry, who was thankfully fast asleep when he got there. He wasn't able to relay Zayn's message, but he was sure he knew exactly how he felt as he dozed off.