28 ☆ under pressure

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

UNDER PRESSURE

"eunbyeol's always straining, always stretching herself out thin for something she couldn't quite reach

"eunbyeol's always straining, always stretching herself out thin for something she couldn't quite reach."

☆☆☆

If Eunbyeol thought Hogwarts seemed a little emptier without Dumblerdore, it feels practically barren now. George is gone. He and Fred left Hogwarts in an explosion of lights and smoke and jinxed items. Eunbyeol misses him, misses them both. Everyone does. It's especially bad with Lee, though. The fact that the twins hadn't informed him about their plans hurt him, and he's quieter without his best friends around. Eunbyeol used to hear him and Fred cackling over their cauldron in Potions class, but now that he's partnered with her, he's more subdued.

"You two are idiots for the stunt you pulled, you know," she whispers into her two-way mirror, buried under her royal blue blankets. Fred and George are lounging around in their newfound apartment, located above their new shop in Diagon Alley. Eunbyeol's nowhere near as comfortable. Her wand keeps poking her in the cheek, the bright light of her Lumos Charm biting at her peripheral.

"We know," grins Fred. George laughs loudly and Eunbyeol winces. It's hard to tell if her Silencing Charm is still holding, and after what Marietta had done, she doesn't know if she can trust her own roommates to keep a secret. "I hope Umbridge is suffering."

"Believe me, she is," Eunbyeol replies dryly. The woman had gone half-mad with the ruckus and falling chandeliers and dungbombs. Her mouth curves up in a dark little smile when she remembers Umbridge shrieking at Filch at the edge of the swamp the twins had set up in a corridor. "She banned anyone from contacting you, though. I'll try to pass the mirror around when I can, but don't expect letters from anyone anytime soon." She winces when her wand jabs her in the cheekbone again. "Why didn't you tell any of us?"

"Plausible deniability," George says. "Can't have you getting punished for our actions, after all." He rubs the back of his neck, as if embarrassed. "It's not like we weren't ever seeing you lot ever again, anyway. A goodbye didn't feel right."

Eunbyeol's mouth falls into a little o. "Right. Merlin knows we need to avoid all the trouble we can, especially after the D.A." She frowns, brow creasing ever so slightly. "You should tell Lee that yourself, though. He's been quite upset since you two have left," Eunbyeol sighs. "It hurt his feelings when you kept him out of the loop, you know. I think he thinks that you don't trust him."

Fred falls silent, frowning guiltily at something beyond the mirror. "It was for his protection, Byeol," says George. "But we'll let him know. Let him get the mirror next, yeah?"