21 ☆ the moons

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

THE MOONS

"'her parents are fast asleep, likely in different rooms

"'her parents are fast asleep, likely in different rooms. they won't catch her on the floor, surrounded by scraps of brightly colored paper and gifts."

☆☆☆

When she's wrapped up in homework and friends and the vast hallways of Hogwarts, Eunbyeol forgets how much she likes ballet. She likes to dance, sure, but ballet was an especially enticing form of dance because of its details. She likes the complex methodology of the technique, the way she can throw herself into the act headfirst and let it consume her life. She enjoys that sort of thing because if Eunbyeol is anything, she's dedicated. She reckons that the Sorting House initially mistook her dedication for ambition, which was why it considered putting her in Slytherin. Eunbyeol wasn't particularly ambitious though. One of her best traits was that she was pragmatic. She knew exactly what she was and what people wanted her to be. She knew not to reach beyond her station in life and while she hated it, she knew that was how the world worked. It certainly didn't hurt to dream, though, as long as she remembered that they were just that.

Today, she's sitting on the floor and breaking in a new pair of slippers while she slips away into her dreamworld. Today, she's pondering over an alternate universe where she's a Slytherin. Would she have befriended Cedric or Anthony or Ginny? Would Blaise and Draco be her Fred and George? Professor Snape would probably favor her greatly if she were a Slytherin. If Tony were here with her, he'd argue that the Potions master already favors her more than most students. Her mind wanders away from potions and tries to imagine herself with an emerald green necktie and sleeping in a bed with thick, quilted blankets. She stops thumping her shoe against the floor and suppresses a shiver. The Slytherin common room is infamously drafty, being located under the dungeons. It's supposedly quite dark too, with the Great Lake casting a greenish hue to the room. It's likely quite beautiful in the way the Moon Manor is beautiful, with engraved stone and leather armchairs and a cold atmosphere. She tries to visualize the room in her head and places herself inside, lounging on a black sofa with. She turns her head in her mind's eye and sees a handsome boy smirking at her, silver hair glinting green in the dim light. Would she be closer to Draco if she were a Slytherin? Probably. Would she be the Pansy Parkinson in this alternate world, destined to preen for his attention? She thinks for a moment. No, she decides eventually, she wouldn't. Nobody could emulate Pansy Parkinson's ever-present air of petulance.

She stops and inspects her right slipper. After a minute of staring, she sets it down and picks up the left one with a sigh. She'd nearly broken her right slipper in too much. She slipped away from reality too much. It was one of the main reasons why Eunbyeol didn't like being alone. As pragmatic as she thought she was, she still loved getting lost in possibilities and what-if's. She was still a teenage girl, after all.