3 ☆ be happy

CHAPTER THREE

BE HAPPY 

"he takes delight in her answer, laughing loudly and swinging an arm around her

"he takes delight in her answer, laughing loudly and swinging an arm around her. 'i think we're going to get along splendidly, miss moon.'"

☆☆☆

The Malfoys have changed the household.

Draco Malfoy's words have pulled something out from within her. "We're not mean to be happy, we're meant to be obedient." The words echo through her head constantly. Maybe I don't want to be obedient, Eunbyeol thinks to herself. I think I'd much rather be happy. The idea of creating her own opinion on something that actually matters exhilarates her.

Eunbyeol doesn't know what the Malfoys said to her parents. She notices that they're more tense, and that they spend more nights arguing than they do sleeping. Meals are deathly silent, and the dinner parties have stopped.

Eunbyeol wants to cry with relief when a tawny owl arrives at her window on a Friday morning. She lets the bird in and slips the letter off of it's leg. A prefect badge slides out of the envelope and into her hand, and relief sinks into her like a pebble thrown into a river.

She brings her letter with her to breakfast. For the first time in weeks, she speaks at the dinner table. "My Hogwarts letter arrived today."

Hyoeun looks mildly taken aback at the sound of Eunbyeol's voice, but nods. "Good. Are you prefect?"

Eunbyeol isn't surprised that that's the first thing her mother is worried about. She nods.

Hyoeun nods approvingly. "We'll have to go shopping."

"When shall we go?" Eunbyeol asks carefully.

"Saturday." Hyoeun decides after a moment. "Yes, we'll go on Saturday."

Shinhyung speaks up for the first time. "We can't go shopping on tomorrow, Hyoeun. We have things to do, remember?"

Hyoeun's jaw sets. Eunbyeol frowns. Her mother was extremely stubborn, but never over petty things like this. "We're going on Saturday." Her voice as turned almost deadly. "That's final."

"She can go shopping on Saturday," Shinhyung gestures at his daughter, "But you can't. Not if you want to impress our guests."

The way Shinhyung says "our guests" scares her, so Eunbyeol fights her curiosity and stays quiet.

"Fine," Hyoeun snaps. "Eunbyeol, you're going to go get your things on Saturday alone. You should be smart enough to know what to get." She eyes her daughter with distrust, but says, "You may go shopping and buy what you want, but don't buy anything foolish."