8 ☆ slytherin

CHAPTER EIGHT

SLYTHERIN

"how slytherin, eunbyeol thinks

"how slytherin, eunbyeol thinks. draco malfoy seems like his house personified, out of trait rather than name."

☆☆☆

Her first prefect round is with Draco Malfoy. It's during the second week of school, on a Monday night. He's grown since the dinner party, she notices. He's taller than her now. The top of her head reaches his eyes. With the dim lights and the sneer plastered on his face, he looks almost intimidating. Almost. "How was your summer?" Eunbyeol asks quietly after they shoo two fourth years out of a broom closet. She mutters a spell to replace the closet's stench of sweat and flowery lotion with a cleaner scent. It's reminiscent of clean linen, and Eunbyeol smiles.

Her question seems to shock him. He mutters, "Fine." It's a blunt, almost annoyed reply, and Eunbyeol studies the tiles at her feet. "I'm sorry," Draco adds hesitantly, "I think my parents upset your's."

Eunbyeol glances at him, surprised. "It's alright," she says quietly. "They always seem to be upset." She tries to laugh, but it comes out sounding a bit sad.

One corner of Draco's lip lifts slightly. His eyes don't match his mouth. "Mine, too." He glances into a random broom closet. "Have you had a DADA lesson yet?"

"Yes," Eunbyeol fights a grimace off of her face. The lesson had been awfully tense, with Harry's nails biting so deep into his palm that the skin went white. Eunbyeol had found herself repeatedly wishing for anybody besides Umbridge to be teaching the class. "It was certainly an interesting take on the subject. Have you had your lessons yet?"

"Yeah," Draco hums. "Umbridge seems like she could be a useful contact."

"Useful?"

He nods. "Umbridge's high up in the Ministry. If you get her to like you, you'll have a job secured the moment you're out of Hogwarts."

"I suppose," Eunbyeol frowns. "Not that it'd really matter for you, Malfoy." At his questioning look, she explains, "Your father's set with a cushy Ministry job as well. You don't really have to act like you like Umbridge."

"Maybe not, but better safe than sorry," Draco replies. "The more powerful people are on your side, the better off you are."

How Slytherin, Eunbyeol thinks. Draco Malfoy seems like his house personified, purely out of trait rather than name. While Malfoys have always been in Slytherin, it always had seemed to be out of bloodline, not temperament or personality. She frowns, thinking of second year and basilisks and the whispers about Slytherin's heir. The Heir of Slytherin. Even if it hadn't been him, it seemed to be a fitting title for Draco, with his aristocratic features and his silver hair and cunning silver eyes. He must've seen her frown. "What?" he asks, "You don't like her?"