19 ☆ it's nice to have friends

CHAPTER NINTEEN

IT'S NICE TO HAVE FRIENDS

☆ IT'S NICE TO HAVE FRIENDS ☆

"'i love you all so much.' she says, eyes shining. there was something remarkably profound in the way she spoke that sentence, despite its simplicity."

☆☆☆

"I love Hogsmeade!" Angelina cheers, crunching through the snow. It's the last Hogsmeade trip before break, and the friends had all decided to forgo all other engagements (Lee had lamented about having to miss out on a date with Marietta Edgecombe, but grudgingly agreed) and spend the last trip together. "Does anyone have any last minute gifts to get?"

"Oh, I do!" Lee waves a hand. "I need to get a new gift for my mum. I got her some sweets but apparently she's on another one of those muggle fad diets."

"Do you know what you're gonna get her instead, mate?" Fred asks. Lee's smile drops and he shakes his head.

"We can always just go to Dervish and Bangles," Angelina suggests. "They have everything there."

So the friends tromp through the snow-covered cobblestone to Dervish and Bangles.

Dervish and Bangles, as it was, marketed itself as a pit-stop for all things magical. From Hogwarts house merchandise to potions ingredients to Quidditch equipment, the shop had every magical item under the sun.

A silver tin catches Eunbyeol's eye as she wanders down the aisles of the shop and she stoops down to pick it up. It's a set of paintbrushes, made of birch wood and veela hair. She frowns down at the box, thinking of a certain Slytherin's love for art. She hadn't gotten Draco a present, she realizes with a start, and marches over to the front desk, paintbrushes in hand. She makes quick work of paying and slips it into her bag before wandering down the aisles to search for her friends again. Lee and Katie are poking fun at various items on the shelves.

"What the bloody hell could I get for a Muggle woman in here?" Lee mutters as he passes her. "Fucking singing panties?"

"That's gross, Lee," Katie complains. "We're looking for a gift for your mum, for God's sake."

Eunbyeol suppresses a smile at Katie's words. The concept of a singular god always amused her. Religion was relatively rare within the wizarding world, and the preferred religion of most practicing families was Paganism. It's rather funny that wizards and witches celebrate Christmas despite the lack of religion within the community, but it's quite a fun holiday to celebrate. She supposes she can't complain. Katie's father is a muggle priest, so the girl had given her a rough overview of the religion—Christianity, was it?—and Eunbyeol had been positively bemused by the concept of it all. Not committing sins to go to heaven rather than to just be a good person seemed rather un-altruistic, despite the religion's emphasis on love and acceptance, but she supposed if it got people to be kind then it worked well enough.