10 ☆ dumbledore's army

CHAPTER TEN

DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY

"'i don't know, really

"'i don't know, really. i just felt,' she paused. 'she'sa vile woman. it's just ridiculous how someone like that can command the school and how nobody can do anything about it.'

☆☆☆

Eunbyeol is convinced that she's never hated a person as much as she hates Dolores Umbridge.

She bites the inside of her cheek as Harry gets into another futile argument. "I'll see you tonight for detention, Mr. Potter," Umbridge simpers, sweet as an overripe peach.

The boy rolls his eyes—Eunbyeol secretly admires him for his brazenness—and slumps back in his seat. She wonders what his scars say, wonders if they're anything like the ones lining George's hand. She feels Terry nudge her, and she turns her eyes back down to her book. The Disarming Charm is a very valuable dueling spell. The incantation is Expelliarmus and the wand will emit a scarlet light when performed correctly. However, one must be cautious when executing the Disarming Charm because it may backfire on the caster if casted incorrectly (see Howlett the Witch, page 307 for specific examples). When casting the Disarming Charm, one must flick their wand up and then once in a counterclockwise circle and Eunbyeol's eyelids flutter shut. She doesn't open them.

"Miss Moon!" Eunbyeol blinks blearily. Dolores Umbridge is peering down at her, her face contorted in a mix of something disgusted, haughty, and curious. Her gaze makes Eunbyeol want to squirm. She wonders if this is how those poor spiders felt last year in her DADA class. "Is there any reason why you are falling asleep in the middle of class?"

Eunbyeol's cheeks burn red. She can practically feel Terry tense up beside her. "I'm sorry, Professor."

"Is there a reason?" Umbridge repeats.

"It's just," Eunbyeol fumbles with her words for a few seconds, running over possible excuses in her head. She catches Harry's eyes, his green eyes glinting in interest. She takes a deep breath. "We learned the Disarming Charm in our second year. I'm quite certain everyone here knows the technique behind Expelliarmus and can cast it adequately, and I believe this is a waste of our academic time." The air seems to disappear from the room. Terry's heel digs into her ankle.

The odd expression on Umbridge's face disappears. It's replaced with something much more identifiable, something she's seen on her mother's face too many times: malice. "You know all there is about the Disarming Charm, do you, Miss Moon?"

She remembers George's scars, bright red on his hand. Don't get detention with Umbridge, Eunbyeol, his voice resonates through her head. She can't seem to find it in herself to care. Overcome with more than a little bit of foolish Gryffindor recklessness, she replies, "More than you do, I'd think."