Chapter 8

"This is bullshit. I would do literally anything to get back on the team. Surely there is some way." Toni was furious but did not think that lashing out would help her case.

  She had decided to wait a week before talking to her basketball coach about being kicked off the team, giving the events of the past few days a minute to blow over. Honestly, she had been waiting for the inevitable fallout from Carol but nothing happened. In fact, things were good at home. They weren't braiding each others hair but she wasn't in significant fear for her life.

  Coach Peterson raised her eyebrows at Toni's plea. "Look, Toni, you are a good player. A great player. The team will suffer without you but from what Principal Evans told me, you need to clean up your act."

  "But this is your team, so it's your decision, right?"

  "Partly, yeah. I agree with him. By the sounds of it, you're acting like how you were when you first joined the team. It's not..." The coach sighed, "You're too old for this nonsense now. You were too old to throw your piss at competitors in Freshman year; you're a junior now-"

  Toni interrupted defensively, "I would never- I- That was a mistake, I was stupid-"

  "You are completely missing the point Toni." Coach Peterson stood up at her desk, towering over the other still seated girl. Toni felt the urge to stand but resisted, she would have a better chance if she stayed subordinate. "I don't think you're going to do that again, but you are a loose cannon at the moment. It is kind of similar to how acted when Mrs Conners died-" The coach immediately cut herself off and sat down, sensing that she had overstepped.

  "Don't talk about-" Toni began to snap but sighed and started again, "I swear it's not like that. I'm different; I just lost my temper that once. Everything is great at home. Please just give me another chance." She paused to look her coach in the eye and whispered desperately, "I need this."

  Coach Peterson sighed, "Okay." A smile started to spread across Toni's face but her Coach raised her hand. "You are not off the hook though. You have to prove yourself. Principal Evans says your grades are dropping in science. What science elective are you taking this year?"

  "Physics, but-"

  "Great, if you can show me a set of straight A's in Physics before Christmas then you're back on the team."

  "Coach, that's crazy, at least make it B's or something."

  Coach Peterson stood and opened the door, ready to show Toni out and said, "That would be way too easy for you Toni."

--------

  It was not ideal but at least she had a way back onto the team. This meant that she would have to suffer just under 2 months without basketball, which in turn meant more time spend at Carol's instead of after school practice. Unless she didn't tell Carol. That would give her around 2 whole hours of free time without Carol freaking out about where she was. This could actually work in her favour; if she played her cards right.

  Despite feeling pretty good about the situation, Toni was surprised to hear that her grades were dropping. She had no idea. And why just that class?

  The rest of the day went on without drama. Science with Shelby was the same as it had been for the past week. Passive aggressive energy came off the blonde girl in waves. She practically rolled her eyes every time Toni breathed. Toni just had to clench her jaw and sit through the aggravated production that the Shelby was putting on beside her for the sake of being accepted back onto the team.

  The bell finally rang with Mr Winters rattling off the homework. Toni listened intently while everyone else practically ran out of the room. As she left, a hand touched her waist. She flinched but played it off as surprise when she turned to see Regan.