Chapter 10

It was about ten minutes before Toni had to go meet Regan at the corner store. Carol was still in bed, so there was no risk of her interfering, and her makeup nearly covered every cut and bruise. Martha had called about 20 minutes ago to ask about what was going on with Regan and they chatted while she got ready.

  Martha's excited voice blared through her phone's speakers, "So how long has this been going on?"

  Toni dabbed a little more concealer onto her jaw and responded, "Well we met like, a week ago? But I don't know we just kissed yesterday."

  "So I see you're taking it slow," the other girl joked, laughing.

  "Martha! It was a heat of the moment thing. Plus she's really cool and I really like her."

  "I want what you two have." There was a longing tone in Martha's voice.

  Toni sighed, "Like you said Martha, it's so new."

  "Don't diminish this because you pity my singleness. Singlehood? Is that a word?"

  Laughing Toni responded, "Well don't rush in to anything you could end up with someone like Andrew. Or even worse, someone like Shelby."

  "Come on Toni, she isn't that bad."

  "We'll see, because guess who I'm partnered with for my Physics project?"

  "No way. Shelby? Does you teacher want you both in a coffin by the end of the year?"

  "I honestly think he's banking on it." Toni played with the bedroom lights and lamps to make sure that none of her injuries were visible in any lighting under the make-up. "Marty, I gotta go. Don't tell the other girls about Regan. I don't want to make it a big thing yet just in case it blows up in my face."

  "You're a real Debbie downer Toni, anyone ever tell you that?"

  "You do. Constantly," Toni chuckled, "I'm just realistic. Call you later!"

  She heard Martha's laughter over the line as she hung up the phone.

  With a quick look in the mirror Toni tried to tame her curly hair but decided to leave it as is. She didn't want to be late. She wished that she could climb through her window but the hinges were so rusted that it didn't open all the way. Luckily she was light on her feet and was pretty skilled at walking through a house undetected.

  The door shut with a quiet click as she stealthily tiptoed through the hallway and out the back door as it was further away from Carol's bedroom. With a sigh of relief Toni exited the house and jogged to where she was meeting Regan.

  She was only a few minutes away when she received a text message. She assumed Martha couldn't resist and told the girls, so she opened the message thinking it would be one of her friends.

Shelby: Hi. I saw that we are partnered together for the project. I need to ace this class. where do you live so I can come over today and we can get started.

  Toni stopped in her tracks and re-read the text. How did Shelby even get her number. She clenched her jaw and replied.

Toni: I can't today, I'm busy. I guess I can do it tomorrow but at yours, not mine. Also how did you get my number?

Shelby: I asked around. I can't do tomorrow I have pageant stuff to work on. How important are your plans today?

  Toni couldn't believe what she was reading. Pageants? She thought those were for toddlers. She wanted to write back that her plans were more important than her sexist parade preparation. Then she thought about how desperately she needed to get back on the team and gave in. As much as she hated it, Shelby had the right idea with starting early.