Chapter 12

AN: Homophobia warning for this chapter x

--------

  Toni lay awake on the futon mattress on Dot's floor, thinking about Shelby.

  She had decided to not to go home which she knew she would come to regret when she saw Carol tomorrow; or the next day, or week depending on how long Carol wanted to drag out the terrifying anticipation. The drive back to Dot's house was quiet, Toni didn't think the other girl had any idea how to respond to her admission. She hoped it worked, but she felt terrible that Dot now had to deal with this. She should have just kept everyone out of it.

  Especially Shelby, who couldn't seem to drop it even when they were fighting. Something Shelby said was stuck in her head though. It had seemed like she was going to say something about her house. Or the people in it?

  "Hey Dot?" Toni whispered in case she had fallen asleep.

  Bedsheets rustled and Dot replied, her voice low, "Yeah?"

  She debated whether or not she should ask, but decided she had to know. "What do you know about Shelby's home life? Like, her parents?"

  "I thought you hated Shelby, she was crying when I pulled up tonight."

  I had made her cry? Toni felt a pang of guilt at the revelation but played it down for Dot. "It's nothing, we were just arguing about the assignment."

  "Half a mile away from her house?" Dot questioned.

  "Well, she was trying to apologise to me. We get into these big fights until one of us eventually goes too far. We were not designed to be in the same room as each other."

  "I think you two have more in common than you think."

  "What could I possibly have in common with Shelby Goodkind?"

  Dot paused before answering, "You both but up with bullshit that you shouldn't because you're afraid to be alone."

  Andrew's rumoured infidelities sprung to mind making Toni feel bad for ever having brought them up, especially because she knew how it felt to be trapped in a hopeless situation. Shelby didn't need Toni to tell her that Andrew was a cheat, she already knew. How could she not? But why did she think that that she couldn't leave him? It was only a high school romance. The stakes weren't that high; unless there was more to the story.

  Knowing Dot was right made Toni realise how badly she had treated Shelby. It wasn't as one sided as she let herself believe. "Whatever," Toni said nonchalantly, not wanting Dot to hear how much her comment had affected her. "You never answered my question."

  "What question- Oh! Shelby's family is weird. Obviously very religious and strict. They're only allowed to have certain food and to wear certain things. I don't know if that has changed since 5th grade though." Dot paused in thought. "It is definitely clear where Shelby gets her homophobia from. Other than that they're perfect, as far as I've seen. Why do you ask?"

  It was pretty much the answer she was expecting but she still couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't all that perfect and Shelby was about to tell her why. "She started saying something about her household but cut herself off. I don't know, it's probably nothing."

  "Toni you are probably just projecting your own situation onto her. But if you're really worried I'll ask around."

  Toni thought about it before coming to the conclusion that even though Shelby hated her and the feeling was mutual, she still didn't want to think about another person suffering in the way she was. "Yeah, actually. You're probably right, but I just don't want to let it go yet."