Chapter 31

Okay, so many moons ago I promised another chapter so this is me fulfilling that promise, like 4 months later than I said I would. So so sorry about that. Some very kind  and helpful commenter brought up said promise and I pretty much can't do anything unless I'm basically guilt tripped into it so here is the next chapter! So thank you to that person. Don't worry people not giving up on this story. TW for pretty much every thing this story contains that you already know. Also thank you for all the comments I haven't been responding to because I felt bad but I appreciate them all!!

--------

  Toni dropped to her knees in front of Carol's motionless body.

  It felt as though time simultaneously stood still and sped up. By the time she was able to force out a cry fo help, she had no idea how long she had been kneeling there.

  The house remained eerily silent.

  "Carol, fuck. Get up," Toni cried, her voice wobbling and shaking so much so that the words came out as more of a jumbled, broken mewl.

  With trembling hands, she reached out and shook the body. Too gentle to even stir a light sleeper.

  Carol's half lidded, unresponsive eyes stared back at her, just off centre to make eye contact.

  "Okay, okay okay," Toni muttered to herself frantically in an attempt to gather her thoughts. She tried to take a deep breath in but ended up choking on air. Leaning over Carol's body she tried to listen for breaths but could only hear her own rattling, heavy exhalations.

  Frustration built in her chest, "Shit!" She pushed herself away from the body and pounded her fists into the floor. One after the other until her knuckles screamed at her to stop.

  It became obvious that no one had heard her call for help. Toni scrambled to her feet on jelly legs and stumbled into the lounge where Carol's friends were still passed out. A bolt of dread flashed through her as she considered that they were all in the same condition as Carol, but then she remembered that she had heard snoring on the way in.

  Finally something clicked in her mind that this was an emergency situation. "Hey!" She walked up to the couch where the man was sleeping. "Wake up!" she exclaimed, not wanting to touch him but giving him a firm shake. He stirred slightly so she yanked the blanket off of him. Toni instantly recognised him. It was the man greasy man that barged into her room thinking it was the bathroom about two months ago. She shivered in disgust but there was no time to linger on thoughts of that night.

  She gave him a firm slap to the face which, in hindsight, she might not have chosen as the method for waking him up had she not recognised him. She man jumped up and immediately clutched his head.

  "Why the fuck did you wake me?" he grumbled, rage coating his tongue.

  Toni didn't fuck around. "It's Carol she in the other room and completely unresponsive."

  The mans face went white. "Wait, like... she's dead? Oh fuck." The greasy man stumbled off of the couch and staggered over to the woman who was still passed out.

  Toni assumed he was getting her to help so she started walking towards Carol's room again. "She's just in here."

  Just was she rocked up to Carol's bedroom door she heard the front door slam. "No no no no," she muttered racing back towards the lounge. Both of the guests were gone.

  Toni bit her lip so hard she tasted copper. This was the first point where she seriously contemplated calling an ambulance. But fuck it, no. She was not going to let Carol fuck up her life over some stupid overdose. She was going to fix this herself.