Chapter 29

AN: Hey guys sorry this chapter is a little later than usual. I was away for a week. Thanks also for all the comments they give me loads of motivation. Enjoy x

TW: sexual abuse (mentions)

-------

  "-I'm just saying, If there was a zombie apocalypse, I would survive it." Toni heard Martha exclaim as her and Shelby approached their lunch table.

  "Martha, you're literally a vegetarian. You would be royally fucked in a zombie apocalypse." Fatin quipped back. The rest of the girls were trying to keep a straight face.

  Martha looked horrified at the retort, "I'm not going to be eating them."

  Fatin just sighed in exasperation and dropped her head to the table.

  "You'd have to kill them though." Dot explained.

  "I don't think I would."

  "You absolutely would. And also if we are talking about who'd survive a zombie apocalypse, my money's on Dot," Toni cut in, sitting down at her usual spot. "Or maybe myself," she added.

  Shelby sat down across from her an shot her a shy smile. She knew no one else would notice but Shelby's lips were still slightly swollen. It sent her shiver through her chest knowing that no one else knew what had just happened between them and that they now shared something that no one else was apart of. She realised that she liked that there were things that were just between her and Shelby. Like there were little moments were they were the only people in the world.

  Shelby snickered.

  "What?" Toni questioned, narrowing her gaze at Shelby. "Something funny?"

  "Only that I wouldn't bet a dollar on you surviving an apocalypse. Dot, maybe. But you? No way, I've seen you tense up and slam on the imaginary breaks when even a bird flies past my car. Nope, Rachel is the only one that stands a chance."

  Toni glared at her for outing her but the rest of the girls cracked up laughing like they all already knew that Toni was a bit of a softy. Suddenly her plate of chicken nuggets looked much less appetising.

  As Rachel bowed and bragged about her imaginary survival skills. Nora chimed in. Everyone fell silent because Nora rarely spoke. "Well, don't worry Toni, a zombie apocalypse is not likely."

  Toni felt flustered. "I wasn't worrying, I think we need to acknowledge that Martha is still ranked below me in this argument," she huffed, crossing her arms across her chest as the others chuckled. It was not a particularly strong defence. "Ah whatever, I'll take that loss. I'm not that sure I'd want to survive a zombie apocalypse that badly anyway."

  "100% agree," Fatin said, biting a chunk out of her apple. "Dirty, boring, gory, unhygienic and, honestly, a lot of hard fucking work. Not for me thank you... Maybe I'd give it a week and see how I go." Toni didn't miss the way Leah hardly took her eyes off of Fatin while she was talking and grabbed her hand when she finished. It was brief but the interaction was just enough to for her to wonder if something was going on between them. Maybe they rejected her from joining girls night because they really just didn't want a third wheel.

  Toni decided to ask them about it after lunch. Considering her situation with Shelby, she was pretty cautious talking about other people's potential relationships in public.

  The more she watched them over the course of their lunch break, the more she noticed things that she had been too preoccupied to see before. Like the way that Leah, who was normally not big on physical contact, was constantly touching Fatin and sitting close enough so that they arms constantly grazed. The way that Fatin, who would normally call someone out for displaying affection, was just letting her. And reciprocating.