Chapter 41

Hi all! So annoying news, I have guests for the next few weeks so, while I will try to write, the nice frequent chapters might slow a little. I do technically have time to write at the quality I have been, I'm up to the final few chapters and they just require a bit more effort and I don't want to leave you all with an unsatisfying, rushed ending. Anyway! Sorry and enjoy!
————

  Toni's knee bounced anxiously under her school desk. Every second of the ticking clock seemed slower than the last. She resisted the urge to groan as the minute hand finally moved but there was one more minute to go.

  She was supposed to be meeting Shelby after school at Martha's house.

  The first two months of their arrangement went smoothly. They saw each other 5 times a week: at the basketball court at first and then Martha's. Everything was perfect but things were changing and life was starting to get in the way again. But in a different way.

It had been a week since she had seen her properly. Now that Toni was medically cleared to rejoin the basketball team, and was on track for captain before Christmas, there were two less days that they could meet up out of the five that were available in the beginning. Additionally, because Shelby's dad forced her to join some after school church club, that knocked off another 2 days.

  Leaving them with once a week.

  They thought summer holidays was going to be a dream. They would see each their every other day, they made plans, they planned dates. But all of that was shattered when Shelby had to go to summer camp.

  Toni questioned the motives of this summer camp but Shelby had been quick to reassure her that, yes, while it was religious, it was a camp to explore career options and find herself before their final year.

  Toni only saw her 4 times in those 3 months.

  Senior year was kicking Toni's ass so far. She was so far behind because of missed classes last year and she just felt like she was completely drowning in work. She was working on her college personal essay, she was considering what schools to apply to and trying to coordinate with Shelby, who she barely ever saw.

  Honestly, it sucked.

  But it did feel good to have normal problems for a change.

  The bell rang loudly, startling Toni out of her thoughts with a flinch.

  She gathered her stuff quickly, shoving all her books and pens into her bag by just holding her bag open and scraping them off the table and into the bag. She only lost 2 pens in the process.

  She waited by Martha's car, checking the time on her phone every 2 seconds. Where was she?

    Finally, she saw her round the corner, chatting mindlessly to Fatin and Leah who... well, only God knew what was going on with them still.

  "Marty! Finally. I have been waiting here for so long."

  Martha checked her watch and rolled her eyes. "Toni, class ended 2 minutes ago. What did you expect me to do? Teleport?"

  "Can we just go?" Toni asked, gesturing broadly at the car. "Please?"

  Fatin and Leah waved goodbye, Toni could overhear Fatin say, "Damn, I miss when she was fucking Shelby a year ago. Way less high strung."

  "I was NOT-" she called out the window before cutting herself off. Not worth the effort. Not worth the time.

  Martha turned the key and pulled out of the school parking lot. "What's funny is that you weren't-"