Chapter 9

AN: Just a little reminder of that abuse TW. And I have updated the warnings in the Part 1 note, so check that out if you are sensitive to or triggered by this kind of content.

--------

  Toni and Regan bunked off their last three classes and hung out together until the final bell. Even between the mindless chatting, joking and making out, Toni couldn't fully enjoy it with the memory of Carol's message lingering in her mind.

  It's funny how when you are really excited for something time goes by so slow but when you are dreading something the minutes fly by at the speed of seconds. Every minute that passed Toni became more and more distant. She hoped Regan didn't think it had anything to do with her. Better yet, she hoped Regan didn't notice at all.

  She was in the midst of drawing a sharpie tattoo on Regan's forearm when the bell sounded, making her jump. Her artistic masterpiece was marred by a large black line running directly thought the love heart as though it was crossing it out.

  Regan laughed at the ruined image and at Toni's pouting face. "Well that's a bad sign."

  Clicking the lid back on her sharpie with a chuckle, Toni stood up and extended her hands to help Regan up from her position on the floor. Regan grabbed them but didn't stand up. "Don't break my heart Shalifoe." She said it jokingly but Toni detected a small amount of seriousness in her tone.

  There were too many heavy things on Toni's mind to make promises she wasn't sure she could keep. She knew she could never break Regan's heart on purpose, but the side of herself that she couldn't control had hurt people before. Shelby sprung to her mind in that moment. She shook her head, first at herself to clear her mind of Shelby and then at Regan.

  "Never on purpose. You can hold me to that." She plastered a smile on her face and pulled Regan up to eye level. Putting on a posh English accent she joked, "Also, my art was not made to be analysed, so please refrain from allegory."

  The comment drew a laugh out of the other girl, "Alright Constable, what is it for then?"

  Toni looked her up and down, and smirked, "To cover up that funky mole on your arm."

  "See, 30 seconds in and you've already broken your promise." Regan shoved her playfully. "Heartbreaker."

  "I don't appreciate being labelled," Toni quipped back.

  Regan simply rolled her eyes in response, trying to hold back a smile. "Do you want a lift back home?"

  There were pros and cons to this decision. If she rode with Regan, she would be earlier back home and maybe Carol would be less mad. On the other had if Carol saw her in someone else's car it could make it much worse. She decided on the option that would give her the best of both situations. "Yeah, Actually. That would be great."

  "Okay! Where do you live?" she said, spinning her car keys around her finger.

  "I'll direct you. Its not too far."

--------

  "Yeah, if you could just pull over here," Toni mumbled, directing Regan to the grass on the side of the road.

  "You live..." Regan looked around as she pulled the car over, "In a corner shop?"

  With a laugh Toni clarified, "No, my foster mom, Carol, is just really strict about like, dating and stuff. I live just down this road."

  "Is this just a really roundabout way of saying you're not out to your-" Regan stopped abruptly, "Wait, foster mom?"

  "Nah, can you imagine? Me, closeted?" She attempted to unbuckle the belt but she couldn't press the button down properly.